CHAPTER 4

Blinding flash of bright, white light engulfed Sanomis in an instant, as soon as he placed the palm of his left hand on top of the smooth, cold surface of the crystal. It forced him to shut his eyes, contorting his face in a painful grimace of surprise. He jerked aside, turning his head, as if he was trying to escape from this. But to no avail. The light was all around him. And it wasn't going away.

Sanomis remembered to boot the protective filter mod, in order to save his eyesight. He knew it was powerful enough to protect his eyes even if he was standing on top of the sun. Sure, his entire body would turn into dust, but at least his eyes would stay intact. Sanomis presumed he'll be able to see again in no time. But the filter made no difference. The light was radiating with the same intensity, still pinching and stinging through his protected eyelids, deep towards the very nerve endings.

And it didn't stop there. The pain spread even further, squeezing on his cortex, shooting through his spine. Numbing his limbs. He would give anything and everything to shut it down. To ease the pain. The light activated as he touched the crystal. That one was obvious. Perhaps it would switch off if he was to move away, Sanomis thought to himself. Still, his arm remained motionless. So did his legs. His entire body refused to obey.

"Do the complete examination." Sanomis wanted to say, but words simply failed to emerge.

The reason for that petrified him in an instant, as he realized he was missing his mouth. But not as much as the realization that was not the only thing. He was missing arms and legs. Also his entire body and head. And his module. But how? Was this crystal's doing? That was impossible. Something like that would require exceptionally advanced technology. In the lines of thoughts or even consciousness transfers tech. Which was brand new. Even for vards. As far as he knew, it was still in its testing faze. This planet was far too primitive, for something like that to even exist on it.

Besides that, Sanomis was positive that the crystal wasn't hiding any mechanical parts. His module would inform him otherwise. No, this was something else. Something strange. Weird. Something even technology and science could not explain. Something unnatural. Something that should not exist.

And still, his consciousness had found itself trapped in this shining nothingness. Somewhere. Nowhere. Beyond reality. But not imaginary. That was obvious, as much as it was unexplainable. Which only increased the frustration. Sanomis loved to think he always had an answer to all and every question. How he could always find a solution to all and every problem. Except now. The situation in which he found himself left him completely perplexed. To the point he failed to notice that the light surrounding him became bearable. Or the fact that he wasn't alone anymore.

"You dared to return!" a thundering, female voice rolled all around Sanomis.

"Wh...what?" he stammered, shaking like a leaf.

"I warned you what will happen if I ever see you again!" it was as if the voice itself came from all the sides, at the same time.

"Ah...a-a...ahe..." Sanomis was fortunate he was no longer occupying his own body, for his heart probably wouldn't withstand such a shocking turn.

"What do you have to say in your defense, dwarf?!" the voice sounded even more infuriated than before.

"I...I..."

"But you are not a dwarf..." the female voice seemed to calm for a bit "What are you?"

"V...vard." Sanomis barely managed to formulate this single word.

"Oh yes, but of course. A vard. I should've known that."

Geologist remained silent. If he was confused up until now, that was nothing compared to this insane twist. How else would he interpret or explain the fact that he was talking with something residing inside the crystal, but as an absolute madness. Something which most likely imprisoned him inside.