CHAPTER 11

"Lieutenant?" The voice came from Vagyr's communicator "Lieutenant, this cave is completely empty. And if I may observe, I think it's been like this, for a very long time."

"That doesn't make any sense." Vagyr grunted.

"I know, sir. But it is as it is. What should I do?"

"Nothing else for now." Vagyr answered "Come back."

"Certainly, sir."

"And Carnil..." Vagyr added.

"Yes sir?"

"Meet with Dradis on your way back. It seems he can't find the way out of that cave."

"Right away, sir." Carnil answered through the suppressed chuckle.

"Where are you Sanomis?" Vagyr grunted to himself "What are you doing?"

The location in which the coordinates led them truly resembled one every geologist would pick as a subject of their research. Narrow, winding canyon, interspersed with numerous holes, crevices and caves, surely promised long term exploration. And as such, it could be the reason for Sanomis' prolonged stay from Shteint. But just one glance upon this place, told Vagyr that was not the case. Geologist wasn't here. No one was. For a very long time.

Still, the lieutenant ordered his soldiers to look around. This location seemed untouched, but below the surface could be a completely different story. That's where they would find the geologist anyway. He probably wouldn't be bothered with the surface examination. There wasn't much here except the sand.

"What's your status , Tenreth?" Vagyr looked up, towards the tip of the vertical, smooth wall of the canyon, in which he was standing "Can you see anything?"

"Nothing 'cept the sand." a somewhat windless voice came from the communicator "I circled around the entire ravine. This place is untouched."

"Exactly as it should be left, after the research is completed." Vagyr said more for himself.

"But if the geologist finished his work, why would he return?" Tenreth asked.

"I think he didn't." Vagyr retorted.

"I don't understand."

"I think the last time he was here was several months ago. While he was serving on Khoro." Vagyr explained "I think this canyon was a subject of his research then."

"So he falsified the request form." Tenreth concluded "But why? To conceal his true location?"

"I believe so." Vagyr said.

"What for?" Tenreth asked.

"That will be my first question, once we find him." Vagyr answered.

"So what now?" Tenreth asked a few seconds later.

"We'll see when we return to..." Vagyr was interrupted with the signal from his communicator "Hold on a second, the Captain is calling."

"Certainly." Tenreth answered, switching off his line.

"We have a problem, sir." Vagyr answered the call "Geologist is not here."

"I know." Vlaazh retorted "We just detected an unauthorized jump. I'm sending you the coordinates."

"Yes sir." Vagyr answered "We'll check it right away."

"Find him." Vlaazh said "Bring his ass back here."