CHAPTER 14

It dawned more than an hour ago, but it took almost another one to pass, before the glistening sun rays found their way through the thick canopies of the trees, surrounding the small grove, on which Sanomis Ti'nullaim stumbled the day before. Few of the rays touched the glass-like surface of the pond, formed at the base of a five meter tall, stone formation. Few others played with the dew drenched blades of grass, decorating every drop with a tiny, colorful spectrum.

One of the rays fell straight onto Sanomis' face. Staying there for just a few seconds, but that was more than enough to awake the sleeping vard. It irritated him with its warm glitter, forcing him to move. The geologist spent the entire night in uninterrupted sleep, which would probably have lasted for much longer, if it weren't for this annoying light.

Sanomis couldn't remember when he slept better. The grass cover on which he lay down was softer than any bed. And with the complete lack of any outside noise, it wasn't odd he slept so well. Until now. Geologist jumped stretching, after which he took a stroll towards the spring. Cold, clear water woke him up immediately. He washed his face and neck, took a long drink, and filled two of his field bottles. He placed them on the top of his backpack, after he already packed and secured the rest of the equipment. He was ready to step back into the woods.

Trees, bushes and other various plants growing around the grove, were almost creating an impenetrable wall. He wondered how he even found his way inside. And now it seemed as if it was letting him outside. It seemed as the branches were bending and moving before him, making way. The green wall was some twenty meters wide. It ended abruptly as it began. And when he turned around, he could not see a way he just went through.

Sanomis' mind immediately tried to find the explanation in this through the work of some magical effect. Lately, he found himself attributing even the slightest of unusual situations to the magic. But how else could he explain the lucky find that was this grove. As a coincidence? Or a fortunate circumstance? That could be true, if he'd stayed on the designated route.

But he knew that for whatever reason, he veered off the way in the direction of that natural hideout. As if something had led him there. As if something wanted to make sure he'd have a safe space to rest. For he needed rest badly. He couldn't remember when was the last time he had an interrupted sleep. Probably a long time ago, when he was stationed on Khoro.

One thing was for sure, and it became apparent immediately. He was feeling much more rested and fresh than ever before. He was sure of that. This felt special. This felt like magic. He had no doubt about it. How else could he explain the complete and utter transformation of his energy. After the night he spent in that mystical grove, Sanomis not only felt better, stronger and faster. He actually was.

That became much clearer, some two hours later, when he found himself at the edge of the forest. According to his module's analysis he should've still been in it. The projected path saw him leaving the forest at the end of the day. At first he thought this was some kind of mistake. But his module had shown him the distance traveled. By some miracle, Sanomis had moved five times faster than possible. And although he had no clue how that was even possible, he didn't care. Because he knew what that ultimately meant. He'll reach Vur-Paan sooner than he anticipated.

Sanomis stepped into a wide, clear field. It appeared before him unexpectedly, seeing he was thinking he'll be striding through these woods for a majority of the day. And now he wished that was the case. Or if for nothing else, that he knew the clearing was in front of him. Because as soon as he found himself there, he realized he was not alone. Just some hundred meters to the right, he noticed the group of orcs.

It was pretty much obvious they also noticed him. First the two, who were by accident looking at his general direction, at the time of his appearance. And then the other two, who turned around at the notice of an approaching stranger. Even if he wanted to, Sanomis knew there was no way of avoiding them now. If nothing else, he knew he at least had to greet them. That was expected from him. Any other action would draw unwanted attention.

"Morning stranger." one of the orcs spoke, once Sanomis came closer.

"Good morning." the geologist retorted, carelessly observing all four of them.

"Join us." the orc said "Are you hungry? Or perhaps thirsty?"

"I'm good. Thank you." Sanomis answered, although knowing just one glance at the rabbits they were cooking was making him say otherwise.

"Good." the second orc readily retorted "We don't have enough food anyway."

Rest of the orcs loudly laughed at this remark. As well as Sanomis. Unreserved honesty made this entire situation a whole lot funnier than it actually was.

"Are you from these parts, stranger?" the first orc asked.

"I'm coming from the west." Sanomis answered "Traveling from place to place."

"I completely understand you." the orc said "Life in the wilderness is better than the village one for so many reasons."

"Freedom and peace." Sanomis nodded.

"Precisely." the orc agreed "So where is that freedom taking you now, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Not at all." Sanomis answered "I thought I might check what's out there in the east."

"You'll find plenty of villages there." third orc suddenly jumped in the conversation.

"Villages are more to the south-east." the fourth orc said.

"How would you know that?" the third orc grinned "This is the first time you left the Sh...the village."

"I've been to the east as a kid." the fourth orc jumped "I've seen more of Chaygor than any of you combined."

"Sure you did." the third orc replied, tasting the piece of the rabbit "We'll need more wood. The meat is still on the raw side."

"Well then go and get them." the fourth orc snapped.

"Why wouldn't both of you do that?" the first orc said.

By the way both of them obeyed, Sanomis could conclude this orc was their apparent leader.

"Just like children." orc let a sly smile, as he poked the embers with rigid, long branch.

He did it more out of a habit, than anything else. But still managing to rekindle a few of the flames. And that should be enough for the fire to survive, until the orcs return with more wood. Two of them continued to argue, all the way to the forest. But Sanomis could not hear them any more.

"So you don't know where you are going?" the first orc asked him after a few seconds.

"Not really." Sanomis answered.

"Are you sure?" the voice of one of the orcs, who just went into the forest, came from behind the geologist's back.

At the same time he grabbed his hands, tying a strong rope around the Sanomis' wrists.

"But what...?" was everything Sanomis managed to say.

"Why did you come here?" the leader of the orc group asked.

"What do you mean? I am just passing by." Sanomis said.

"Where are you going?" orc asked him.

"W-what?" Sanomis stuttered from fear "I already told you. I am going eastwards."

"Don't lie!" the orc who tied him, smacked his back.

"But...I..." Sanomis groaned in pain.

"Tell the lieutenant the truth!" orc growled, hitting him at the exact spot.

"L-lieutenant?" Sanomis faltered, dropping to his knees.

"Tell me, Sanomis." the leader of the orc group said "Why did you abandon your task?"