CHAPTER 6

Personal journal of geologist Sanomis Ti'nullaim, Ganiwarthal's exploratory mission on planet Dorull

-Entry 169-

The work on lieutenant Zharn's module was pleasant, and very likely a necessary change of pace. Although, it did put a hold on my search for answers. For the truth. Anyway, Vagyr came up with the idea to use the latest and up to date data from the reports, to create a clear picture of the area, in which the research team in question is currently operating.

The first problem obviously presented itself in the form of encrypted reports. The surprising part was that even the lieutenant had no clue about the reasons for such an obstruction. But he assured me he would look into it. And so he did. A few days later, the reports were unlocked, with the guarantee that the future ones will be available for access. From what I've been told, it was all thanks to Vlaazh Niykav, the captain of Shteint, who approved our request.

In the meantime, we decided to link Vagyr's module with the fairly modified topographic mapper. In its original state, this device was able to display a holographic rendering of the terrain. But our update included the presence of all settlements as well as the humanoids themselves. This, in our opinion, would in many ways help in general security of all surface missions. Although we'll know that for sure, after the lieutenant tests the functions in action.

-Entry 169 a (supplemental)-secured with triple encryption-

Vagyr's enthusiasm, and all around commitment to complete this project of his, gave me an ample of opportunities to clone his module. It went unnoticed. And it opened the entry into the military database. Lieutenant is not suspecting a thing. I can't wait to start searching through all of those files. To see what the military is hiding from the rest of us. I think I am close to finding the truth. But I must stay patient. I must be sure I won't be detected, once I access the database.

***

As an assistant to the chief geological researcher of the Dorull exploratory mission, Sanomis Ti'nullaim was in a somewhat privileged position to choose and assign the areas and locations of interest. So it wasn't hard to fabricate the reason for returning to the cave, that should in all actuality be marked as explored. He discarded several samples, writing them off as contaminated subjects.

They were crucial in his exploration of this region, and as such they had to be replaced. New samples were to be collected and logged. New report was to be written and forwarded. Sanomis put the blame on the faulty containers, which was the common reason. And something which Danayr Dagiyn, the chief scientist officer, wouldn't doubt for a moment. He even offered to send one of the laboratory technicians instead, but Sanomis insisted it was his mistake. It was him who'd have to fix it. He knew the mission chief wouldn't deny him. Danayr appreciated the commitment to the assignment more than anything else. And Sanomis was one of the most committed scientists on Ganiwarthal.

Still, he had to wait more than a week, before he was granted the pass to leave the safety of Shteint. The week which he thought would never end. The week of ever growing distrust. Sanomis had to watch his every word. Be careful not to act suspicious. By the time the seventh day came to pass, he was sure everyone was seeing through his nervous demeanor. The paranoia became unbearable. Which was to be expected, because for the past seven days he knew of the real reasons for vard's presence on this planet.

At first, the realization left him in dismay. But soon it made way to complete and utter sense of bewilderment. Hundreds of questions came pilling on top of his mind at a same time. And not a single answer appeared. He was close to losing it. How did this undertaking even commence? Who organized it? Was this doing of some secret, criminal group? Or perhaps their leaders, back on Pryria were behind it. Was this a usual practice, or was this a one off? How come no one knew about this? Could it be that all of the vards were living in a lie? In bliss. Prosperity. Blind and oblivious to the horrors, that prathans in their names did on the far away worlds.

But vards weren't like that. Surely. Out of the barrage of questions, stirring the inner conflict, came out the denial. Vards were good, open-armed, compassionate race. And this undertaking was a complete opposite of these virtues. This came out from the immoral, malicious minds. In no way it represented their entire kind. How was even one vard being capable of such an evildoing?

Sanomis felt utterly stupid. And then the irritation and outrage begin growing inside of him. He let himself get involved in this criminal operation. This horror. He remembered his application for this job. The short and formal conversation that followed. And the invitation to join the expedition not even a day later. He should've suspected the legality of the whole ordeal right then and there. Who would've given him the spot that easy. His ego was telling, it was all due to the recommendations he gained during his specialization. He now knew that was all a lie.

His only consolation, if he decided to hide behind one, like a complete and utter coward, was that he wasn't alone in believing these lies. The majority of the scientists who joined this mission were young. Most of them only just finished the specialization. Sanomis noticed the pattern. They were probably chosen for that specific reason. They had no prior experience. They were thanking their lucky stars for landing the gig in no time. Whomever organized this was counting on that and that alone. They made sure no one would ask any questions. Because they made sure no one would question the legitimacy of this mission.

For the first time since he learned the truth, Sanomis felt unsure. The doubt in himself, in his own capabilities, began growing from within. He felt the walls closing in. He felt exposed and vulnerable. What will he, a plain, young geologist, even manage to do really? This whole ordeal was far too big for him. What was he thinking? How could he even help this planet? Would Ch'ybal be willing to offer her assistance, besides her advice? What did she even knew? Sanomis had a million different questions. Fortunately for him, and for the sake of his mind, it wouldn't take long before he was able to find the answers to them. He had returned into the magical crystal's cave.