Machinate

A/N: hi hunny bunnies, sorry about the cliffhanger, it was simply too many words! But I worked hard to get this out this weekend so hopefully that makes it up to you all!

___

Machinate [ mak-uh-neyt ]: to contrive or plot, especially artfully or with evil purpose.

___

- Rick's POV -

The oppressive sunlight is the only thing anchoring me to the concrete beneath my boots, its intensity boring into the back of my scalp. My mind reels, every fiber of my being ablaze as I shoot a glare filled with hatred at him-the asshole standing elevated on his little pedestal, a smug smirk etched on his irritating face, leaning against the worn yellow railing.

Negan, in his twisted generosity, was gracious enough to arrange us at gunpoint. Bregrudingly but silently, we formed a line as ordered, while his Saviors shoved rifles in our faces. We now stand motionless on the harsh concrete, positioned in front of the stairs and the landing where he stands.

It's an unsettling reminder of the first night we met Negan. When he lined us up, tormented us, nearly made me cut off Carl's arm, and killed Abraham and Spencer.

Acrid bile concentrates in my molars from the memory as I look at this place- a decaying amalgamation of concrete, metal, and glass, a factory crumbling at the edges from age. The mere sight of it strengthens my resentment.

Cass has been held behind these deteriorating walls the entire time. If only I had chosen this disgusting place over that damn college, I would've gotten her.

Yet, I'm here now.

Fate is one hell of a bitch.

Negan shifts his amused gaze away from my rage-filled eyes, directing his attention to one of his subordinates behind him, Simon. I can't see or hear what he's saying from here, but from his gestures and the vein popping in his neck, he's clearly agitated. I furrow my brows in confusion, grappling with the unsettling feeling that something bad is about to happen.

What are we doing here?

An uneasy tension surrounds me as I glance to my right, where, at the end of the line formed by my family, Daryl stands, his gaze fixed blankly on Negan. I know Negan is incredibly angry about Daryl and Cass.

But he can't be-

Abruptly, my focus is jerked back to the elevated landing, a jarring clang reverberating through the air as a metal door is forcefully thrown open and slammed shut. Squinting against the harsh sunlight, I struggle to see what's going on in the somewhat shadowed doorway. Near the entrance, a flurry of bodies creates a brief commotion, and then, as if time itself has frozen, the world around me grinds to a halt.

Because there she is.

Held by her upper arm, she cowers in the bright light, wearing a ridiculous cocktail dress. My heart drops as Negan's faded voice calls out, dripping with malicious delight.

"There she is!"

But I don't spare him a glance; I can't tear my eyes away from her.

Cass.

My Cass.

A suffocating wave of emotion engulfs me, causing me to stumble backward, my mouth parting as a shuddering exhale escapes me. It's surreal- finally laying eyes on the woman I love after four months of agonizing separation. Four months of staring at her name scribbled on a wall, yearning for it to somehow transform into her.