Clean

- Cass's POV -

Aaron bangs on the gate four times as the rest of us stand behind him waiting restlessly, tension building with every hollow blow of his knuckles on metal.

My gut wrenches at the loud rusting in the bushes to the left of us, making the group quickly draw our weapons, all immediately turning at the possible threat. My grip on my rifle is iron-tight as I aim in the general direction of the noise, my chest rising and falling quickly with panic, my gaze darting around quickly, searching for the source. Daryl, whose closest, fires his crossbow with near to no hesitation.

Lowering my rifle, I lean forward to peer across Rick's figure to watch as Daryl snatches up a now-dead possum by its tail, making a slight smile quirk at my mouth. Just Daryl being Daryl.

The gate gets pulled open loudly, drawing my attention back to the front of Alexandria, my chest constricting with anxiety. When I look back, Aaron is standing beside a clean stranger looking at us suspiciously, adjusting his automatic rifle on his shoulder. He must be their gate guard or something.

The guard has short brown hair, dark beady eyes, and a sour look on his face as he spots Daryl holding the possum carcass, clear distaste in his gaze.

"We brought dinner." Daryl grunts roughly. I have to duck my head to hide my smirk of amusement when I catch the revolted expression on the guard's face.

Aaron assures the guard that we're okay, before walking past the threshold into the community, waving us to follow him. After sparing a nervous glance at my family members as they walk in, I follow.

The nineteen of us cautiously venture past the open gate into the wide and spotless road that goes off in three directions, lined with trees, greenbelts, and homes. I'm taken aback by the high-quality houses lining the streets, the well-manicured lawns, and in the distance, what seems to be brick townhomes.

"Sasha." Rick mutters, making me look over to see our sharpshooter turn and aim her rifle through the gaps of the just-closing gate. She takes down a walker fifteen feet away with a single headshot, making pride flow through me. Especially when I see the look of surprise on the guard's face.

"It's a good thing we're here," Rick mutters under his breath, making me nod in agreement as I examine their 'guard'. He looks like he's never killed a damn walker yet he's looking at us like we're the abnormal ones.

Feeling too much irritation looking at his dopey face, I focus back on the new community we've entered into. I'm amazed at how everything is so put together and pleasant while strangely seeming lived in. Unlike Woodbury, which felt like a set for a t.v show- a cheery and perfect facade for the dark reality hiding behind it.

This place, on the other hand, feels weirdly comforting. It's impressive too when I notice the rows of solar panels on a nearby greenbelt. I wonder if they have electricity.

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons." The guard with the sour face orders us, blinking nervously as the group shifts to glare at him with distrust.

... What?

"Wanna stay? You hand them over." He repeats in a slightly wavering voice, squinting at us in the bright sunlight, sweat gleaming on his tall forehead.

"We don't know if we want to stay." Rick states roughly, stepping forward intimidatingly, his revolver at the ready in his hand, the metal barrel glinting in the spotty sun.

"It's fine, Nicholas," Aaron assures the guard, stepping in and glancing between us and Nicholas worryingly.

"If we were going to use them? We would've already." I inform Nicholas simply, my voice low as my hands rest on the rifle strapped across my chest. My hardened gaze watches as the man looks over at me, blinking in bewilderment.