Scratched

- Rick's POV -

The early morning sunlight streams across Cass's face as she snores softly, her expression completely relaxed in her sound sleep. As I stare down at her, my chest aches with overwhelming emotion.

I still can't believe I'm here with her, in the bed we share, waking up in a safe place. This has been all I wanted for so long.

Last night after Cass broke down in front of me, her words ripping through me like bullets, we talked for hours.

Being able to reassure her, comfort her, and make her realize there is nothing I want more than to be with her was amazing. Seeing the moment as relief and happiness broke across her stunning features is something I'll remember for a long time.

We spent the night in my room as Cass has come to the conclusion that my bed is more comfortable with no arguments from me. Our voices were low and overlapping as we quietly and candidly talked about how we felt about each other.

Lori and I's fights before the turn would stem from my inability to talk about my feelings. Maybe it's because I've changed a lot since then, but I don't have that issue with Cass. All I want to do is tell her every detail of how I feel about her.

And I came to learn that the only reason Cass dated that fuckhead Spencer was to get over me. That was satisfying as hell. Knowing the whole time I was watching them with overwhelming jealousy, wanting nothing more than to be with her, she wanted me too. Cass was equally shocked yet pleased to learn how much I pined after her during those days.

Reaching out now, my fingers gently brush away a strand of her copper hair, ignited by the warm rays of sunlight, and tuck it behind her ear to show off her face. So beautiful. Cass utters a small noise, her face crumpled with annoyance, before burrowing into the pillow more.

God, I love her so much.

But if I keep staring at her it's going to become very difficult to fight the urge to kiss her, effectively waking her up. And I could use a shower.

So very carefully, I untangle myself from the sheets and gingerly get off the bed. Luckily Cass doesn't stir too much, only lightly grunting before settling back down, making a smile of amusement quirk at my lips.

After one more quick and greedy look at her, I walk into the bathroom and close the door carefully behind me, not being able to help the smile on my face.

The hot shower water pounding against my skin is a relief.

While spending hours with Cass last night was incredible, being able to reassure her fears while sharing some of my own, facing the rest of the day ahead only brings me uneasiness.

This new place and these strange people only fill me with dread. Thinking Terminus could have been a safe place for us just to then nearly get slaughtered to be eaten has resulted in just a bit of trust issues on my end.

Unlike other members of my family, I'm finding it extremely difficult to trust it here.

And I have to tell Cass the truth about me seeing Jessie yesterday. I couldn't face it last night, Cass seemed so happy after we resolved everything between us. I know once I tell her the truth, she's going to be overwhelmed with guilt given her past and proneness of blaming herself.

Exhaling slowly, I duck my head, letting the hot water pound against the tense muscles on my upper back, easing the tight stress coiling within them.

I just feel- tense. Cass and I didn't do anything apart from talking and to be completely honest, I wouldn't change that. It wasn't what we needed.