To be yours [is all I want]

- Cass's POV - Two weeks ago

Shuffling the papers in my hands, I walk back to the infirmary, mentally doing the math of what prescriptions I need to get filled for which patients. Hopefully, I have enough of everything this time. I really need Daryl and Rick to come back with my old medications, it will help so much.

"Dr. Cass, do you have a boyfriend?"

I stop in my tracks, turning around in surprise, facing the man behind me in the hallway. He's one of the newcomers that we welcomed earlier today, Spencer. He's around my age from what I can tell, with dark-blonde hair and expectant brown eyes.

"Excuse me?" I ask, slightly taken aback, my cheeks reddening. He smiles, looking down for a moment.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be impolite- You're just a beautiful woman so I'm wondering if I have a chance or if you're taken," Spencer says with a shrug, cooly leaning against the concrete wall beside him.

I cross my arms, studying him. His tall, slender frame leans against the wall as he smiles back at me unflinchingly, clearly determined.

"I do not have a boyfriend," I reply simply, making genuine surprise cross his features. He doesn't need to know my heart belongs to another man. Even if that other man doesn't know it.

"Wait- really? No husband or fiance?" He asks in amazement, making me smile, feeling flattered. Is it really that surprising that I don't have a partner?

"Nope. I'm single." I inform him, holding my papers to my chest, an unexpected fluttery feeling dancing through me. I forgot what it feels like to be flirted with.

It's been so long.

"Well this will be easier than expected then," He grins, tilting his head down to see me better. My eyebrows raise at his cockiness.

"Oh? And how so?" I question daringly, turning my head to the side, squinting slightly at him, a slight smirk pulling at my lips.

"I expected to have to steal you away, but if you're single it will be much less complicated." He explains simply with a shrug.

"You do know I'm a person right? Not an object to steal," I respond quickly, making his grin grow.

"Oh, I'm well aware, doctor. I plan on making you fall for me." He informs me, making my heart flutter. I haven't heard a man speak to me like that in years. I simply blink up at him, feeling a warmth spread across my chest.

It's nice to feel wanted for once.

"You in need of assistance down there in the infirmary? I used to work in a doctor's office before- I could help out," Spencer offers. I blink in surprise. Huh. That would actually be really nice.

"Yes actually. If you want to help me with our supplies and maybe smaller things with patients- that would be really helpful." I tell him honestly, making him smile.

"Perfect. You'll fall in love with me in no time," He assures me as he leans forward, making me bark a laugh, shaking my head.

"Yeah yeah. Keep telling yourself that!" I call over my shoulder as I walk away, excitement tingling through my limbs. I told Maggie that I wanted to move on from Rick. Maybe this is my chance.

---

"So, do you guys have a leader here? I heard from some of the other people that at their old community there was a guy called the Governor or something?" Spencer asks, looking up from the gauze he's been organizing for me. I glance over, a painful ache panging through me at the reminder of Phillip.