Wucheng

The journey north-east towards the Yellow River would take the party through the Kingdom of Qi. Qi, Minh Huyn explained, was one of the most powerful states, and its location between the coast and the river gave it strategic importance during trying times of war. While other states that relied heavily on Qin's wealth to the north-west were crumbling, Qi was, as it remained, stable and unaffected from the supply chains.

It was, however, prone to drought.

"The rains have been good these past few years," Minh Huyn said to Anh and Bong as he felt around the fertile soil in the vegetable garden. "But I suspect the Gods will not be fair in the years to come."

"Do you suggest we remain incognito?" Bong asked.

Minh Huyn shook his head. "I believe there's no need. The dragons would be welcome – but be wary of large towns, and don't stay anywhere for too long." The old man sat hunched over in his garden, his wrinkled face etched with lines of concern. For a moment, he seemed lost in thought, his mouth opening and closing as if he were struggling to find the right words. "Perhaps... I advise you do travel incognito as you near the Yellow River."

Anh raised an eyebrow and turned to Bong. Bong was quiet for a moment as the meaning of Minh Huyn's words reached him. Anh inquired, "Why should we hide closer to the river...?"

Wucheng, Bong said.

"Wu what?"

Minh Huyn interjected, "We do not dare say the name of this town out loud!"

Anh flinched. It was unlike Minh Huyn to cuss like that. Minh Huhn eyes glazed over as if he were searching for the courage to continue. Anh hoped he would press on, but he did not. And Anh did not dare to ask.

Later, after they had brought the picked vegetables to the cellar of the forte and were alone, Anh asked Bong, "What was that about?"

Bong frowned. "What was what about? The journey or the pickle?"

It took all of Anh's strength not to roll his eyes. Bong and Minh Huyn had spent more time talking about whether the bloody beef cheek pickle would be ready before the flight than the journey itself. Each year they pickled beef cheek for the next year, but this year they may not get to eat it in time. Bong was adamant they eat it now and not waste it. Minh Huyn thought it would taste better if they waited.

Anh, who did enjoy the pickle, that can't be denied, could not give a damn for it right now. "That word that Minh Huyn banned. Something about the yellow river and being incognito? What was that all about?"

Bong swallowed. He shifted on feet between the stairs and the landing of the cellar, avoiding eye contact with Anh and speaking in vague, non-committal phrases.

Anh frowned. "What? Bong, what are you talking about?"

"I don't think I'm the right person to tell you, Anh."

Now Anh was really lost. "Tell me about what? If not you or Minh Huyn, then who else will tell me? Hei Lei when it's too late?"

Bong's eyes widened. "Definitely not Hei Lei!"

"So, it'll either upset or anger Hei Lei? Well, that narrows it." Anh said sarcastically.

Bong turned around and began walking up the cellar but stopped midway. Anh tried to summon his Second Sight to read Bong's heart. He still hadn't really figured out that skill yet, but for brief moments where he concentrated his qi enough, he was able to see into others hearts. It wasn't always accurate, however. And it was plain obvious when one keeper was doing it to another, like in this moment.