Pickles and Peppers

Despite Hei Lei's best efforts to drag out the task after his venetian meal, the apples were picked and finished up by dusk. Pi Que was so impressed, he asked them to return the next day to clear the remainder of the orchard. Considering the others were yet to return, and with the prospect of some extra coin, Anh agreed.

What do you care for coin? Hei Lei grumbled as they settled in for the night. They were staying in Lord Cao's guest room, only this time there were no 'surprise guests.'

Anh stacked the two mattresses together to form a soft bed. He was used to sleeping on a mattress, but his was well worn and stiff compared to these. Honestly? I wouldn't mind a new bed.

Harden up. Hei Lei said with a huff. Humans. You have such weak backs. How your breed came to have authority over the world baffles me.

Anh rolled his eyes. How dragons are perceived as such mighty, terrifying beasts that could destroy worlds and flood the lands could be terrified of centipedes is beyond me.

That's not fair! Hei Lei grumbled. Centipedes crawl inside our ears to eat our brains.

They'd be disappointed in yours then. Would hardly make a meal.

Hei Lei's brow furrowed for a moment as Anh's words settled. He then made a tinkling sound – he was laughing. Clever.

Anh settled into his mattresses. You know what else I could buy with that coin?

Not a pillow, I hope.

Pepper. Anh said dreamily.

Hei Lei made a mocking belch sound before turning his back to Anh. Humans. He muttered.

Anh woke the following morning aching all over. His arms and legs were so stiff, even stretching didn't relieve him. He fell in painfully slow behind Hei Lei as they made their way to the Pi Que's orchard.

Sleep well? Hei Lei mused.

Why does it hurt so much? Anh asked as he went to take a seat on a bench. It was painful to even bend to sit, however, so he settled to lean instead.

You're not used to working like this. Hei Lei said.

Anh thought about the pears they were meant to pick today. It was going to take much longer to pick them now with him being as sore as he was.

Aren't you sore? Anh asked Hei Lei as he climbed uncomfortably onto Hei Lei's pack and strapped down a basket between his horns.

I'm not a weak human like you. Hei Lei said. Anh groaned. He was too sore to think of a comeback.

It was a painfully long morning of picking pears from the tree tops. As the sun hit its high point in the sky, he found his spirits slumped. Hei Lei, I need to rest for a while. He said.

Hei Lei dropped to the ground and Anh staggered towards a shady tree. He had intended to only rest for a few minutes. Instead, he dozed off. In his dreams, he was a pear, bruised and useless. Hei Lei was sharpening his talons nearby, and Anh the pear saw his doom inside the great beasts stomach.

Hei Lei's talons sliced through the pear and Anh screamed like a banging gong – a banging gong?

Anh shook himself awake. Hei Lei was making that noise! He was in trouble.

Anh ran to the dragon nearby who was swiping violently at his own head. Hei Lei, what is it!

Centipede! Hei Lei cried. In my ear!