Chapter 27: Judgmental People

Start from the beginning

"Omo, his smirk is so sexy!" said one of the ahjummas. She sounded like she was really fangirling over a psychopath. 

Damn, that smirk wasn't sexy at all. It's the smirk of a horny psychopath, ahjumma-ah.

Suddenly, I felt very angry. I clenched my hands. Even though I wasn't locked by him anymore, I just could feel he was everywhere. And even with the problem in my tummy now, because of him too!

But it was like I was in two minds. When Taehyung came to mind, I just really wanted to abort the baby right away, but when I just thought about the baby, I felt something different despite the judgmental stares I got here.

___________

                I woke up in such shock and panic that I found myself in a sitting position instead of lazily stretching first. My chest was very heavy, like a heavy weight that weighed more than the whole of my body.

Now, my chest started to tighten. I started to gasp for air.

Nightmare. It was horrible. Very horrible.

In my nightmare I saw the baby's legs dangling under me. His body parts were discontinued and scattered. Blood was everywhere. Even on my face. It was so vivid, like so real.

I clenched my hand around my chest and tried to calm myself down. It was just a nightmare. Because I kept thinking about it.

I shook my head. 

It was just a nightmare. It was far from reality.

             I went to a restaurant in the morning. I saw them pasting a flyer on the glass of their restaurant saying that they wanted to recruit a person who could be a waitress, to clean dishes, and to clean restaurants too. The salary was average, too.

I smiled because I was on a mission to find a job too. I couldn't yet decide about the baby in my stomach. I would think about it later.

I went into the restaurant and talked to Ahjumma about the flyer.

"No, we won't recruit a pregnant woman."

"Oh why? I can work. I can clean, I can wash the dishes. Ahjumma, please don't underestimate me,".

"No, no, no," she said and walked away. The expression on her face looked like she wouldn't change her mind.

I got out of the restaurant upset. Why did my pregnancy make my life so hard? It's like I couldn't do everything because of it. How could I start a new life? 

A happy life that I imagined it would be when I moved here. Fuck it. It's just my imagination. And I was betrayed by my own imagination.

I pursed my lips while walking without an exact destination. I was complaining a lot about my life. 

Something came across my mind, then I stopped walking, and my eyes twinkled. "Tangerine farm!"

           I walked into a tangerine farm, and I looked for Eunwoo. I expected him to be here. Later, I spotted him. He was so damn sweaty. The sun felt so near anyway.

"Eunwoo." I went to him.

He looked shocked when he saw me, but quickly he covered it up and continued his work to check on the tangerine. I followed him, walking slowly as he checked on the next tangerine.

"Eunwoo-ah, this early morning I went to the restaurant," I said.

But he didn't seem to care what I'd said. I expected him to say at least'so what'.

"Ahjumma didn't let me work there. Obviously, she needs people. But just because I'm pregnant, she didn't want me. What's wrong with being pregnant? Weird right?"

He didn't say anything either.

"Eunwoo... So, I don't want to ask you for more because you're already nice to me. Not like the other people. But can I work here?" I asked him carefully and stopped hitting around the bush.

He turned to me. I grinned because I was sure he was about to say, 'You can work here'.

"Please... Just one more time."

He took off his large hat and placed it on my head. "Go back to your home." 

Then he continued doing whatever he's doing now.

My smile almost flattened, but I couldn't give up. So, I maintained a strained smile. I must convince him. "Look at this. I know how to pluck it. I won't damage your farm."

"It's still green. It isn't ripe yet. You shouldn't pluck it," he said.

I stopped following him. My smile disappeared. I started to feel belittling again. It's like he would never recruit me. No matter what I said, I couldn't convince him. It must be because I am pregnant again.

"Just go home," he said.

I clenched my hands. "You're just the same with all people. You must be judging me right now! Right?! Just because I'm pregnant. And I'm alone. It's.." I shut my mouth because I felt like my voice began to quiver. I was about to cry.

He turned and then walked towards me.

"Are you tight on money? Then don't pay me the rent. I'll let you live there for free."

"It's not about that! It's about you judging me."

He sighed. He remembered that she was in a fight because she kept saying people judged her.

"I don't judge you. I don't care if you're working in a restaurant under a roof. But here, it is under sunlight. Yes, you're pregnant. Your situation is different. You can't do something like this. I'll return your money. So go back to your home."

I frowned. How was it not judging when it's still discrimination? I was about to backfire on him, but then I saw two ahjummas coming around and then sat down. They were taking a rest here. They seemed like his workers.

Then they looked at me and started chatting with each other.

"Are you new here? I never saw you around in this neighborhood before," one of them asked me.

"Yes..." I was out of mood for an introduction.

"What are you doing here, young lady? It's hot now. It's not good for a pregnant woman to stand under the sun for too long."

I rolled my eyes. I was energetic. They really didn't know how strong I was. "I'm asking for a job from this young man," replied I.

Eunwoo looked at me, and he seemed to be fed up.

"Omo. That's not good for you, young woman. Where's your husband?"

My face twitched. This damn same question again. 

A drop of tears finally dropped from my eyes, and I hid my face behind his tall figure.

Eunwoo saw my tears, and then he turned to the ahjummas. "Mind your own business, Ahjumma.".

***