31

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

as the car ride goes on, chris can't help but wonder what kind of coincidence it was to find el in that situation. they've opted for a casual drive, and when they had missed their exit, forcing maps to reroute their way onto a new street, chris spotted el on the sidewalk and a car parked in front of her. she had an irritated look on her face. he didn't understand the situation until he told matt ten seconds later to let him out and park somewhere.

he got there, and now an older man was standing in front of her. "come with me," he says as he takes another step towards her. chris felt his skin flush. he can't watch this any second longer. "get the fuck away from her!" he yells. the guy snaps his head at him. "i was here first, find another one." chris couldn't believe his own ears. this guy is really trying to take her to his place.

"i'm not here to find a prostitute like a fucking loser. now fuck off and leave my girlfriend alone," he blurts out, not knowing what he's saying at the end. it did feel right in the moment.

what if they hadn't missed the exit?

what if chris had debated a little longer before eventually telling matt to stop the car?

all these questions swarm in his head, while he holds el as she cries. she doesn't even sob or anything. it's only tears flooding down her cheeks. she's clearly thinking too.

when chris gives her a little squeeze, matt suddenly speaks up. "want to be dropped off at your place?" he asks carefully.

"mhm" ella tries to voice. matt understood her though and took a turn early to get to her house faster. chris swallows. they haven't taken that turn in, well, the last time chris was at ella's place two years ago.

he slowly understands the way el had to feel, when they were gone. always having to drive past his house, all those little things in their hometown, that would bring up memories.

it especially hits him when he sees her house. he takes a deep breath looking down at his, she's not his, el. just el. he used to think that two years ago. he thought she was his. he liked the idea of calling her his el in his head. until he found out that his el wasn't only his anymore. the lips he'd kiss were touched by others. that's when he was forced to stop thinking of el as his. that's why it's so hard to just forget it happened. he believes el's story. he really does. but he never wants to feel again what he felt that night.

so looking down at el, which caused her to look up, he slowly moves his hand to her face, to wipe away the tears.

"i don't even know how to thank you chris" she speaks softly, her shiny eyes glued to chris'.

chris offers a small reassuring smile. "you don't need to thank me." his words made him realize that he'd do anything for that girl. he does care. he knows now unlike all the months before where he'd deny that fact. of course he cares about el.

she slightly tilts her head, softening her gaze even more. chris didn't know her face could get any softer. he takes up all the strength he has left in his body to not look down at her lips. he also used that strength the entire car ride here, to not kiss her on the head or forehead.

chris is so confused about his own feelings. he loved that girl so much. the realization of what he had and then lost in the most painful way ever hit when he followed her on instagram, especially when she posted that one picture after they had talked. he texted her to let her know, because he had learned to talk about his feelings. he didn't want to go a step backward. in the end, he kind of did, and maybe today's occasion was a sign of the universe to show chris that it is meant to be. him and el.

ella goes to grab the door handle, but chris stops her by laying his hand on hers. she froze.

chris's throat itches to say something because he doesn't want to let this moment slip away in front of him.

"chris," she speaks softly before opening the door anyway since his hold isn't really strong on her. "don't do this to me right now."

he can only furrow his eyebrows. do what? he questions himself while looking at her like she's the only girl in the world.

"you've been very clear with your text," and with that, she leaves the car after squeezing matt's shoulder from behind to thank him.

the moment slipped away in front of him.

nick and matt, who have been very quiet the entire time, finally speak up.

"you're an idiot," they say at the same time, looking back at him in the back seat.

he looks dead. "give me a break," he says, motioning for matt to drive off. he again fights an urge, this time to watch her get into her house. but what if she looks back one more time? fuck it. chris looks back, and right as she is about to disappear behind her door, she stops. chris holds his breath. she looks back at him, and he can sense that she's surprised to see his face one more time. she smiles before eventually closing the door. that's all chris needed when he immediately reaches for his phone.

imessage

chris
im sorry about everything
today
the past 2 years
but we'll fix this right ?

╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

authors note

this is my birthday gift for you

your girl is legal now 😝😝
happy 18 to me

and this is not the end
you can't get rid of me

love,
cloudy
💞