006 - You're Nothing Else

Start from the beginning

Hazel hummed, turning back to stare at the glass. "He said that I'm back up and nothing more," Hazel muttered, pushing herself to sit properly. "And you know... Feels great to be appreciated." Hazel took the glass and sipped softly, the burn racing down her throat.

"Okay, one, gross," Terran huffed, taking the glass from Hazel. "Two, does it matter? Hank's more than happy to see you and Dick asked for your help, so they definitely need you." Terran kicked Hazel's chair and Hazel turned to face her, a small smile pulling at her lips. "I ordered things to the tower. Downstairs garage?"

"Behind the black Ute, password to use the door is my number plate."

"Cool." Terran pushed herself up, slipping out the door quickly.

Hazel sighed and slumped in her seat; her knees propped up against the desk. Hazel closed her eyes and hung her head back, staring up at the ceiling. She could feel the lump in her throat as she swallowed hard, what more could she do? She had trained to the point she could defeat Jason, once but she never let him forget it, she had near perfect control over her powers, she could run this tower by herself and had learnt everything Dick had to teach her but still she was reduced to back up.

Hazel slid from the chair and fell back against her bed, pulling the covers up to cover her head. Her eyes screwed shut, the sound of beeping cars outside filling her ears.

Hazel crouched low behind the car, the thump of her heart echoing in her ears as Dr Light fired beams of scorching light, illuminating the car park. The urgency pulsed through her veins, prompting her to move, but before she could take a step, Dick's strong grip closed around her arm, yanking her back into the safety of concealment.

"Are you fucking stupid?" Dick snapped, frustration etched across his face. "You're back up! Nothing else!"

"But Dick, let me help—"

"What are you gonna do, huh?" Dick argued, his voice edged with concern and exasperation. "You gonna yell at him to stop?!"

"I can use my light!"

"You can't control it," Dick yelled, his fingernails piercing her skin. "You tore apart our fucking kitchen."

Stuck in their argument, neither noticed as Hank raced forward. He managed to dodge one of Dr Light's strikes, but a second shot through his chest, burning through his skin and bone. It was Dawn's scream for Hank that made them turn.

Hank's body slammed into the ground with a violent thud, blood and flesh spilling out onto the floor. Dick raced around Hazel, Donna and Dawn following him as they ran at Dr Light. Hazel's eyes had singled in on Hank's face, his eye's unmoving as they stared out at nothing, just a blank void with no life behind them.

A ringing noise filled Hazel's ears as she slowly rose to her feet and walked to Hank's body, kneeling beside him. "Hank?" Hazel's voice cracked as she called to him. Her hands shook as she grabbed his upper arm and shook him softly. "Hank..."

Hazel sat straight in her bed, her chest pounding in fear as her jagged breaths filled the room. Her hands fisted the sheets as her eyes tried to focus on something, but she couldn't make out the details of her room, the dark of night filling her vision. Her prayers were answered when her door slammed open, an extremely rattled Gar standing in the doorway.

Oh no.

"Gar?" Hazel called. She waved her hand and lights filled the room. "What happened? Are you alright?" Hazel pulled herself out of the bed and Gar stepped closer, motioning behind him, stammering. "Hey..." Hazel took Gar's hands and he looked at her, his eyes blown wide. "Breath alright."