14. Suspect.

Come be my aid, I will be yours. Don't turn around, coz we just started.

Yasmine took a deep breath and exhaled. Worrying won't solve anything but she felt guilty to see the worried expression on Arwa's face.

"I am sorry for bringing such trouble Amira and you don't have to worry about it. I will face the consequences alone," she said reassuringly.

Arwa quickly denied her thoughts. "Don't misinterpret my fears, Yasmine. I don't care what happens to me but care about you," she said with a gentle smile and Yasmine lowered her head.

"Just because someone recognized you doesn't mean that it's a big problem,"

Yasmine smiled wrly as she stared at Arwa who couldn't hide her worry.

"If the Sultana finds out that there is a new woman in your chambers and sends someone to check, the secret can't be hidden anymore. Also, I can't stay with you forever in a room without going out, can I? Even if your brother is going to investigate concerning my family, I have to be there too," she reasoned.

"Oh. Right," Arwa sighed and held her cheeks. "I guess I'm not that smart. Let's just wait for Jaasir,"

Yasmine stayed quiet as she looked through the window. When he comes back, he should have satisfactory answers, right?

Jaasir didn't appear as they expected and Arwa just got more worried. She also had to go out in order not to bring any suspicion. After all, everyone in the palace knew how Amira Arwa behaved.

It was getting dark already and after praying Maghrib in the hall together, that's when Jaasir arrived.

"You were here in the morning and now too. Won't someone suspect this Ya Akhi?" Arwa voiced her concern.

"It's okay Uktiy. I know," Jaasir rubbed her head before smiling gently at Yasmine.

"I am sorry for keeping the ladies waiting and worried. Let's have a sit first,"

Yasmine just nodded and they all sat around the table again. Arwa immediately told him what happened earlier with the Sultana and how it would be hard to cover up their secret now.

"Don't worry about anyone coming in for now. Faiz is on guard," he told them.

Arwa curled her lips. "I doubt that he will do a good job,"

"Oh truly?" Jaasir gave her a deep look. "Except if the Sultan comes over, I am sure that Faiz can stop anyone or alert me before anything. That's why he is my guard,"

Arwa didn't seem convinced as she grumbled under her breath. Jaasir was unfazed as he was used to her behavior.

He looked at Yasmine who was quiet and said, "Faiz is responsible, so don't listen to what Arwa says. She is just jealous that he is closer to me than her,"

"Akhi," Arwa whined and pulled Yasmine's arm. "Don't listen to what he says. I bet he's the one jealous,"

Yasmine didn't answer and directed her question to Jaasir.

"What are you going to do now? I never supported keeping this a secret,"

Arwa became serious too now. Jaasir hummed and replied, "It's more than you think already. For me to leave the soldiers behind and bring someone into the palace, it's hard that no one noticed it."

"They already know?" Arwa's eyes widened.

"The walls have ears Arwa, especially in the palace," he told her. "I checked the crime records from the treasury and three officials there were indeed accused of theft. The head official started investigating it and they were caught but were suddenly released and the report changed that it was the official that reported them who framed them. They even have evidence that he had corrupt activities in the palace. Soldiers were sent to bring him back but he fought back and tried to escape which led to his death and his wive,"

"That's not true!" Yasmine yelped. "They are just lying. I am sure that my father will never do that. They framed him instead. The man clearly said it," Her eyes were pearly and filled with anger and indignation.

"I know Yasmine," Jaasir said raising his palm to calm her down. She bit her wobbling lips and stared at him to continue.

"I had Faiz dig into this more and he found something," he said. "There were some servants who said that those three officials, evidence was found in their houses but then it wasn't I'm the record. Some also attest to Sayyid Saeed's honesty. There are two different opinions but we will try to investigate more. A strong evidence is you, Yasmine. Since you witnessed what happened in the house, you can be a witness and there is something more, the report didn't mention about you or your sister. It just said that you escaped. No follow-up till now,"

Yasmine fell into contemplation because the case seemed more serious than expected.

"They wanted to kidnap us both," she muttered in bitterness. But why did they involve her father like this and even kill him?

"I deduce that they wanted to shut him up and used that opportunity to ship more girls to the brothel," Jaasir stated seriously with tightened brows. "What I am confused about is how someone will still do something like this despite knowing that a search for the brothel was going on in the capital,"

"You suspect...." Arwa shuddered.

Jaasir raised his head and said in a low voice. "Whoever is it has a lot of power and confidence. They never expected that I would find where the brothel was and dared to frame someone to cover up their deeds. It's definitely the same person or partners. I suspect that it's someone from the royal family or very close,"

Arwa held her forehead as she felt her head spinning. Someone from the royal family meant family. She can't think of anyone like that.

"I don't want to suspect any of my brothers or uncle and that's why I'm keeping it away from Sultan Abu first. I don't want to jump to conclusions for now," he sighed.

Yasmine clenched her fists under the table. Can she blame them though? She can't let them suspect their family just to help hers?

"We can't jump to conclusions doesn't mean that I'm stopping the investigation," Jaasir announced sensing the atmosphere.

"No matter who that person is, they are ruining the empire's name and have no fear for Allah. I have some leads already but it's still weak. We can't hide Yasmine forever and that's why, I will have to expose you myself,"

"But isn't want dangerous Akhiy?" Arwa asked worryingly. He faintly smiled and shook his head. "I will protect her and they won't do anything that will implicate them more,"

"I agree. I'm not scared of them," Yasmine said with determination.

Jaasir nodded approvingly. "We also have to prove them wrong, so tomorrow, I'll go and check the house,"

"I'm going too," she said curtly. It might be dangerous but she knew she couldn't sit and do nothing about it.