Chapter 44 - Coronation of the fallen

Danny Torent's POV

The guards load their guns, strap them to their bodies and walk away in a single file. Their faces remain stoic as they troop into the foyer. They stand in straight lines to listen to Sam's orders.

I observe the situation from the overhead railing. Dressed in a prim suit, Sam saunters into the room and climbs the marble stage. He stands in front of a golden throne with a gun in his hand.

Sam keeps his face void of emotion as he addresses them. He gestures at the throne and to himself at intervals.

Female guards join the gathering and stand opposite the males. They wear their hair in buns and have guns strapped to their waist and heels. One of them even winks at me.

"Today, my granddaughter becomes your queen. Your outmost respect and loyalty are all I ask of you. If not, you and your families will leave and face the punishment of your sins."

Some guards swallow thickly at his words, others look away with fear in their eyes.

"Ladies and gentlemen, do we have a deal?"

The hidden threat in his words mock his soldiers and his eyes hold a promise. A promise of death if anyone was to deny his wish.

He's restoring her respect the same make Troy destroyed it.

Through fear.

"Deal." The guards echo.

He nods his head, and they march away. Sam raises his eyes and shares eye contact with me. I narrow mine in response and walk away.

It never ceases to amaze me how he takes pleasure in instilling fear in his followers.

Must be a Griffin thing.

I down the rest of my drink and head to Penny's room. On my way there, I pass different servants who clean up the house. Dressed as maids, they dust the statues and paintings. Some put up decorations and arrange the chairs in the foyer.

I knock on her door and walk in. The woman of the day lies head first against her pillow, with Charlie by her side. The duo stops talking when I walk in.

"Don't stop your gossip on my account. I bet that Sam and Chloe shook the sack." I humour them.

Charlie responds my chucking a pillow at my head with a grimace. She says, "Please, no sex jokes about my mom."

I raise my hands in mock surrender and sit in a chair at the corner of the room.

Charlie pulls out a comb from her hair. She throws it at the door with one eye open. The comb pushes the door shut and locks it.

"What's the plan?" she asks while looking from Penny to me.

Penny groans and turns. She sits up on the bed and rests on the headboard. "Running away isn't an option?"

I glare at her.

"If it were, we wouldn't be here now, would we?"

She remains quiet and stares at her toes.

I can only imagine what is running through her head. The day we've both dreaded since New Year has finally arrived.

Our coronation.

Today is the day that Sam will step down from power. Penny will rule over the British empire, with Charlie and I by her side. Along with Marcel, who will be her third in command.

Our rooms were far from one another, but I knew Charlie was in her with her all night. Pacifying her and convincing her that the worst is over.

Little did they know that the worst was yet to come.