Chapter 13 - A weekend getaway for an Emo

Marci Wellington's POV

I zip up my duffle bag and look around my room in the Lealtad household one last time.

With a sigh, I open the door and close it behind me. I stumble into the Patriarch of the household in the hallway.

He looks at me through the glasses perched on the bridge of his nose. A small smile danced on his lips as he nudged his head to the side.

He turned away from me and started walking towards the door at the end of the hall. I followed him, and he opened the door to his study.

He entered first while I followed closely behind him. I sat on the rocking chair in the corner of the room and watched him. He paced in front of me with a meaningful look on his face.

"You know, when I was your age, I would get this crazy thought that I would one day change the world. I came close to doing just that until I stumbled onto a theatre in my late teens." He paused to look at me to ensure I was following his story.

"I knew the script was as trashy as the dumpster behind it, and I decided on the spot I would change the world with a pen and a paper."

He held the items up and allowed them to fall to the floor with a silent thud.

"Marci, I know you wish things could be different, but remember that we are here for you. And maybe one day you too would find something else to fight for."

A calm silence passed between us, and I'd be damned if the universe would stand in the way of me having my Mom and Dad back together again.

I let out a small smile, stood up and hugged Abuelo for his encouraging words. I'm surprised that I understood every bit of it. As he patted my back, I heard one of his famous riddles of the day.

"You can't break an Acorn unless you've got a whole ocean, a few blades of grass and of course, a squirrel's cheeks."

There it is.

After my talk with Abuelo, I said my goodbyes to the rest of the Lealtad clan. I got into the car with Diego and drove off.

The ride to the Penthouse was a quiet and short one. Traffic was low because everyone travelled out for the holidays, and even though it was almost Valentine's Day, the roads were still empty.

The paparazzi at the reception and front desk were buzzing with their flashing cameras and nosy questions.

"Cuídese." Diego nudges my shoulder with his.

Translation: Take care of yourself.

"Si."

After trudging through the Presses, I make it to the elevator and enter the passcode.

I examine my reflection on the walls of the moving box and sigh. My hair is barely kept up by the black hairband on my head, my black clothes are rumpled, and the bags under my eyes are very dark.

I would be lying to myself if I said that this divorce is not taking its toll on me, but I'll find a way to work around it and get my family; even if I have to glue the pieces back together, so be it.

The doors open, and I'm met with Jack and Taryn making out on the couch.

3, 2, 1...

"If your hand wanders down there one more time..." Taryn begins her threat with her hand going slowly down towards her shoe.

Jack rolls his eyes and shuts her up with his lips.

"I would have picked watching Gail trying to flip than walking in on you guys again," I say to break the snogging couple before me.