Chapter 26 - Back in the Empire

Danny Torent's POV

A foreign feeling overwhelmed me as I walked back into the British Empire. I wasn't born here, nor did I grow up here, but I feel at peace here. Joey and Megan got married somewhere in America before Joey had us move closer to the Griffin Estate.

It took a long time before I could adjust to the changes I was forced to live with. I had to go through years of fucking the brains out of pointless redheads to get to it.

The car ride from the private airstrip to the British Empire is quiet, but when the sturdy metal gates that lead to my home come into view, I allow myself to sink into the car seats and sweep my eyes around the place.

Men dressed casually or in suits walk around the perimeter. This is Sam's version of hiding in plain sight. The deeper you get into the Empire, the more corporate the security detail would look. The houses of lower members of the Empire were at the extreme edges of the property. The residential area of those higher up in the ranks was a few feet away from the Griffin Manor. The houses alternated from black to white with picket fences around them.

Every walkway was made up of gravel. Plant statues adorned many corners of the property with water fountains and flower bushes. If you look closer, you would assume the place was a resort.

Sam ensured that there was a gravel pathway that split the property in half with the Griffin Manor in the middle of it. The right side was suited for recreational activities. The residents all lived in this part, and it had the least amount of guards because every Empire member was forced to know combat skills. There was also a shopping mall that sold everything.

If you wanted to walk out of the property, you'd better have a good reason.

The car pulls up in front of the Griffin Manor. It was a pristine white building that could rival the white house. It had charcoal black Griffins and Gargoyles perched onto all its pillars. The flag of the United Kingdom perched on the middle of the roof.

I open the door when the car comes to a halt. I'm met by a smirking Sam. He walks closer to me and clasps his hand in mine. "Welcome back, boy."

I grin and return the shake with enough firmness, "It feels good to be back."

He flicks his head to the side, "Let's go for a ride."

He raises two fingers in the air, and two maids run from inside the house towards us. They carry my luggage from the car while Sam plucks the keys from the driver's hand and swings into the driver's seat. I enter the passenger seat; he starts the car and drives around the Empire.

"How was your trip?" he asks.

I allow my lips to move on their own accord, "Unnerving."

He lets out a quiet chuckle, "I'd say that's how I felt when I met my sister again." His hands tighten on the wheel at the mention of Kasie.

"I was able to strike a deal with Carlos. I never found out about that deal that went South. Care to share?" I offer.

"We have Valentía to blame for that," He sighs, "On the night that my daughter was murdered, Valentía made us believe that she had escaped and found refuge in Spain. We knew she was in America, but couldn't pinpoint her exact location. I tried to take permission from the leader of the current leader of the Spanish Mafia to conduct a man-hunt on the place. He agreed, but when the plane carrying my men landed in Spain, a land mine blew them to bits." He explains.

I pat his shoulder in comfort, "At least their present leader, Carlos, has agreed to form an alliance with us. Together we could stand against the French Dynasty when the time arises, but there are more issues to settle first."