🕷️09🕸

Mom:
I'm here, open the door for me

Nora sighed and made her way across the room, giving it a quick scan to make sure things were in the way her mother liked; speckless.

"Hi mom." Nora said as she opened the door, "Why are you here?"

Her mother was dressed in a beige overcoat, her lipstick the perfect shade of red along with her dainty black handbag and small suitcase.

"Here to make sure you do well in life." she replied curtly, "I expect you to be top of your grade, what's your rank right now?"

"7th..." Nora muttered, "7th out of 347 people."

"Not bad, but be better." Mother said, her lips slightly puckered with disappointment. "Where's my room?"

Cleo padded quietly across the room, sitting on the floor, a small distance away from Nora's mother, observing her as he cleaned his fur.

The tabby's action caught the womans eye, and she gave a little shriek of fright as she walked back, away from Cleo. "What is that MONSTER doing in THIS apartment?"

Nora didn't even try to hide her digust. She scooped Cleo up into her arms and put him back in her room, closing the door behind her. "First off, he is NOT a monster. Secondly, this is MY apartment."

"I found this apartment for you." Mother said scoffingly, "It's mine as much it is yours. The cat can't stay here."

"I pay the rent. You either tell me what you want and why you're staying here, and live by my rules, or go home."

Nora headed into the kitchen, and wiped the kitchen island to prepare dinner. "I'm making pasta tonight."

"I said, the cat goes." the woman repeated.

Nora turned and glared at her mother, "No, he stays. This is his home."

"I will cut off all your allowance, I assume you're in need of it." Mother smirked, knowing what her daughter needed, "The cat or your life? Decide."

Nora slammed the cloth on the island and locked herself in her room.

As she lay on her bed, Cleo jumped on to the matress, curling up beside her. "What do I do Cleo?" she whispered, "What do I do?"

She thought of Maeve, maybe she could take Cleo in for a few days. No, Maeve's got 3 pets already. Her brothers most certainly won't help, they'll just make things worse, or at least one of them will.

Taking out her phone, she went through her contacts.

"Mark...?" she stared at his name on her phone, comtemplating whether to ask him or not. He was probably the only other person who could help her, possibly her only trustworthy friend other than Maeve or Jaemin. She pressed on his name and proceeded to type.

Mark

Nora:
Hey Mark
Would you mind taking care of Cleo for a few days,
my mom is living with me for a bit,
and I don't think she likes cats.

sent at 19:40

"Where is my room Nora? Don't make me stand out here!"

Nora closed her eyes to calm herself down, "She's your mother, she's your mother." she muttered to herself.

She slid off the bed and headed into the living room where her mother was standing, one hand still on her suitcase, judging the decor Nora put up around the apartment.

"Bad taste in decor, I see." she muttered, but still loud enough for Nora to hear.

Nora ignored her and opened the door to her study room. She tidied it up 2 days ago when she recieved the text from her mother. "Here, you sleep here."

"Just a matress?" her mother said, looking rather disgusted, "Even my housemaid sleeps better than this."

"Yea, well I ain't rich. You either sleep here or go back home. Why are you even here?"

Her mother ignored her question and strutted into the room, dragging her suitcase behind her. "Shut the door and call me when dinner's ready."

"Yea, ok." She returned to the kitchen and checked her phone, but there was no reply from Mark.

Heaving a sigh, she plugged in her earphones and began to cook once more. She moved around her small kitchen, cutting up onions and tomatoes to put in the sauce. The onion's odour blinded her with tears for a bit while she was chopping, and she tilted her head to blink back the tears.

Her phone pinged, and she rinsed her fingers before using her left hand to tap it open, the knife still in her right.

Mark

Mark:
ofc! i'll take Cleo anytime! 😍
sorry for the late reply tho, got smth on
im nearly home, be there in a min

seen at 20:00

Nora put down both objects in her hand on the kitchen isalnd and rushed to her room to grab Cleo. "C, you're gonna have to live with Mark for a bit, is that ok?"

Cleo purred at the sound of Mark's name and Nora took that as a yes.

Nora carried him to the door and Mark's grin appeared as she opened it. "Look, Mark, I'm really sorry about this, but my mom is real stubborn." Nora apologised, rushing back into the room to grab Cleo's bed, food and toys.

"I'll text you the details later, I've got a pot of pasta to take care of." Nora shut the door but opened it again, "Wait, have you had dinner yet?"

Mark scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and muttered a small no.

"Oh, I'll bring you some when I finish cooking, my mom can't know you were here. See you later?"

Mark nodded with a bright smile, "Thank you so much."

"Least I could do, you're taking care of Cleo for me."

"Nora! Is dinner ready?!"

Mark froze awkwardly at the yell from inside the apartment and scratched the back of his neck.

Nora gave Mark an apologetic smile, "Got to go!"

Mark nodded in understanding and shut the door for her, carrying Cleo and his belongings downstairs to his apartment where Haechan was waiting.

"So...she asked YOU out of all people?" Haechan said with a smirk, helping Mark bring in the cat bed, "Does she not have other friends?"

"Apart from Maeve, I don't think she does." Mark said sincerely.

"Well do you think she sees you as a friend or lover?"

"Haechan, I will not hesitate to try out my new suit on you."