🕷️05🕸

Returning to her apartment after double checking the door was bolted shut, she refilled Cleo's food and the tabby purred at her ankles as he munched happily.

She sat beside the cat stroking its fur as its chest raised up and down with each breath and mouthful it took as memories flooded into her mind.

It was winter when they had their first encounter, Nora was walking home from the bus station, and she chose to take a shortcut through the alley that day. In a cardboard box, curled up into a grey ball, was Cleo.

He was skinny, famished and cold, and his pitiful cries caught her attention, filling her heart with love. Cleo is a smart cat, he seemed to understand the feelings Nora suddenly felt towards him, and to boost them, he made himself look even more pitiful by enlarging his pupils, making them look like black orbs with shimmering stars.

Nora was in a good mood that day and she chose to bring the poor cat home. She picked up Cleo from the makeshift cardboard den and snuggled him in her jacket as she quickly ran home. She thought about calling him 'Moon' but he didn't like it, he would ignore her when he tried to call him that.

Then one day as she was watching a cartoon, one of the characters was called Cleo, and he seemed invested in the film. Lying next to her on the sofa, his ears would perk up every time the name was mentioned.

"You like the name Cleo?" she asked, "Cleo?"

The grey tabby purred at the name, and from then on, he was known as Cleo.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, and a message notification popped up. As she scrolled up, there was also a few missed calls from the same number.

Unknown number: Hey, I was wondering if you'd like to grab a ice cream together at Macquarie after school tmr?

Unknown number: oh yea, im mark btw, how's cleo?

Nora was surprised, no one's ever asked to go out with her except for her best friend, Maeve.

She was even more taken aback because she was a stranger to Mark a few minutes ago.

After checking her timetable, she replied.

Nora: I'm free after school so I guess ok

Mark: that's great
I mean yea cool
Where and when?

Nora: up to u, I'm fine

Mark: awesome,  how abt at A block after skool?

Nora: ofc I'm fine with that
Cya tmr :)

Mark: cya tmr babe ;)
MY BAD THAT WAS MUY FRIEND

Nora: hahaha he seems funny

Mark: 😅no
Seen