Chapter 28

A purple flame burned brilliantly as Zestia placed her brooch in the goblet.

Soon, a pale aura of black flame enveloped her body, and she smiled with satisfaction.

Once a year, a member of House Winchester is recognized and bonded to the eponymous Black Dragon.

The thicker the Winchester blood, the darker and larger the flames.

“My turn.”

Stepping up to the black goblet, Othello inserted the ring from his pinky finger.

The dark, colorful flames rose beautifully like a small fountain, and there were murmurs of admiration.

Othello twisted the corner of his lips and stepped back. He could feel the black flame on his body getting stronger.

Next, Jin Winchester.

Everyone held their breath and focused on him.

The flames were a symbol of his power.

Of course, dueling and combat could be improved through training, but absolute power depended solely on the concentration of the black flame.

Unlike Othello, Jin was completely focused as he placed his button into the cup.

Before the button even touched the surface of the goblet, dark red flames burned with tremendous concentration.

I could have sworn I heard an explosion.

The flame was bright enough to light up the dark night sky.

“…….”

Unlike with Othello, most of the people were silent.

A few opened their mouths in surprise, but…… Jin was the undisputed heir to the Winchesters. His aura and abilities were almost identical to those of Recardo Winchester when he was his age.

Recardo Winchester sat at the head table, close enough to Jin to observe him.

He then looked at me for a moment.

“…….”

I stood there holding the ball that he had passed to me yesterday.

It was my way of saying, “I’ll put it to good use”.

After all, I had ruined the mood a bit yesterday.

After a few moments, Recardo stood up.

His turn had come.

He approached the goblet and casually tore off the hem of his sleeve, dropping it into the glass.

And at that moment, an enormous black flame, not even comparable to the black flame of Jin ……no, a distinct dragon form, wriggled out of the glass. It was a dense, roiling black flame.

You could feel the heat as well as the light.

The black flames of the dragon’s form shot upward and scattered majestically in the air.

Like a flamethrower, the huge flames spread and died.

I stared at him in amazement, while the others looked at Recardo in awe and fear.

Holy shit! So that’s the way it works!

I hid my astonishment at this demonstration of unparalleled power.

* * *

After the participants had finished ritualistically checking each other’s powers, it was back to the lively atmosphere of the ball.