cii. even i could admit that sometimes, i was wrong

Start from the beginning

Before you get angry- She began to bargain as I checked my horse over for injuries, running my hand down her legs to check for hot spots. The weird girl made me do it!

"Yeah and I'll kill her for that later." I hissed, before pulling back. "No injuries?"

Nope. I'm as fit as a fiddle! Blackjack beamed, or as well as a horse can show happiness as I set my sights on Rachel.

She stood at the bottom of the porch steps. Her arms were raised like she was waiting for someone inside the house to throw her a ball.

"What's she doing?" I demanded. "How did she get past the barriers?"

"She flew," one of the satyrs said, looking accusingly at Blackjack. "Right past the dragon, right through the magic boundaries."

"Great." I hissed, beginning to move for Backbiter, which I knew would strike down a human.

"Andromeda!" Chiron warned as I scowled. I just wanted one thing to go my way! One! "You can't interrupt."

"I thought you explained things to her!"

"I did. And I invited her here." I stared at him in disbelief. 

"You said you'd never let anyone try again! You said—" Luke accused, anger on his face. This was what had caused his mother to lose her mind and here Chiron was, allowing it to happen again. What a responsible adult.

"I know what I said, Luke. But I was wrong. Rachel had a vision about the curse of Hades. She believes it may be lifted now. She convinced me she deserves a chance."

"And if the curse isn't lifted? If Hades hasn't gotten to that yet, she'll go crazy!" The Mist swirled around Rachel. She shivered like she was going into shock before open her eyes and turning. It was like she could see us, but only in a dream.

"It's all right." Her voice sounded far away. "This is why I've come."

"You'll be destroyed!" Luke shouted back, anger clear on his face.

She shook her head. 

"This is where I belong, Luke. I finally understand why." The house rumbled. The door flew open and green light poured out. I recognized the smell of snakes. Mist curled into a hundred smoky serpents, slithering up the porch columns, curling around the house as I immediately took five large steps back with Blackjack. 

Then the Oracle appeared in the doorway. The withered mummy shuffled forward in her rainbow dress. She looked even worse than usual, which is saying a lot. Her hair was falling out in clumps. Her leathery skin was cracking like the seat of a worn-out bus. Her glassy eyes stared blankly into space, but I got the creepiest feeling she was being drawn straight toward Rachel.

Rachel held out her arms. She didn't look scared.

"You've waited too long," Rachel said. "But I'm here now."

The sun blazed more brightly. A man appeared above the porch, floating in the air and I heard Luke's audible groan of  disappointment.

"Apollo." He winked at us but held a finger to his lips.

"Rachel Elizabeth Dare," he said. "You have the gift of prophecy. But it is also a curse. Are you sure you want this?" 

Rachel nodded. "It's my destiny."

"Do you accept the risks?"

"I do."

"Then proceed," the god said.

Rachel closed her eyes. "I accept this role. I pledge myself to Apollo, God of Oracles. I open my eyes to the future and embrace the past. I accept the spirit of Delphi, Voice of the Gods, Speaker of Riddles, Seer of Fate."