iv. becoming a matador seems a great career choice if you ask me

chapter four

─── becoming a matador seems a great career choice if you ask me

          𝔑ow, I have no clue where my mom learnt to drive like this, but it felt like we were in a Fast and Furious movie except I didn't think any of us looked especially cool or glamorous, as we shot round the corners of the dark country roads.

Grover was sitting in the back seat, chewing on his nails nervously, though every time I looked at him, I couldn't help but wonder if I was going insane, because he was still wearing those carpet like pants. But he smelt like a wet barnyard animal, and that convinced me that something was going on.

All I could think to say was, "So, you and my mom...know each other?"

Graver's eyes flitted to the rear view mirror, though there were no cars behind us. "Not exactly," he said. "I mean, we've never met in person. But she knew I was watching you."

"Watching me?" Mum was doing a good job at avoiding my glare.

"Keeping tabs on you. Making sure you were okay. But I wasn't faking being your friend," he added hastily. "I am your friend."

"Uh-huh...what are you, exactly?"

"That doesn't matter right now."

"It doesn't matter? From the waist down, my best friend is a donkey—"

Grover let out a sharp, throaty "Blaa-ha-ha!" and I froze at the irritated bleat he was making.

"Goat!" he cried.

"What?"

"I'm a goat from the waist down."

"You just said it didn't matter!"

"Blaa-ha-ha! There are satyrs who would trample you under hoof for such an insult!"

"Whoa. Wait. Satyrs. You mean like...Mr. Brunner's myths?"

"Were those old ladies at the fruit stand a myth, Romy? Was Mrs. Dodds a myth?"

"So you admit there was a Mrs. Dodds!" I cried, pointing at him as he finally admitted to lying to me. I knew I'd get the truth.

"Of course."

"Then why—"

"The less you knew, the fewer monsters you'd attract." Grover said, like that was the most logical thing ever. I was so confused. "We put Mist over the humans' eyes. We hoped you'd think the Kindly One was a hallucination. But it was no good. You started to realise who you are."