Chapter 44: Healing Wounds

There were echoes in the darkness.

Bursts of light as forces were clashing against each other in a seemingly endless and terrific battle.

A battle that made your throat feel dry and chest tighten painfully.

You wanted to call out, you wanted to reach out, but you were unable to do anything. Again.

Again, again and again...

Why was it always that in the most crucial parts of time, you could not bring yourself to move forward to do something?

You felt the need to scream, to cry, to whimper...but you just could not.

Suddenly though, the darkness slightly cleared. Black turning into a bright warm white.

The shouts of battle became quieter and were replaced with soft gentle whispers.

When you fluttered your eyes open for the first time, your vision was still blurry but you knew that you were staring at a ceiling.

And as you felt the soft cushioned surface underneath you more and more, you grew aware that you were laying in a bed.

Your brain slowly started to reboot and puzzle together the final picture of what had happened and how you ended up here.

As soon as vivid memories of the Mugen train entered your mind like an aching memory, you shot up from your comfortable position with a gasp, making other people around you do so as well.

While you sat there, eyes wide and body shaken by hurried breaths, it did not take long for the others in that room to rush to your side.

"[name]!!"

"They're awake!"

"Quick!"

Out of nowhere, you were surrounded.

Zenitsu had been the quickest to arrive, he tensely stood at the end of the bed, clinging onto the mattress with worried eyes that were glimmering with tears and quivering lips that were daring to let out small cries.

Inosuke was the second at the scene. He crashed into the blonde from the side due to his clumsy speed and proceeded to stand next to Zenitsu stiffly. It was the first time the two did not start bickering even after something like that.

Tanjiro had been the one who was quick to hurry to your side instead, gently putting a hand on your back and leaning in more closely to inspect you like a doctor. His touch was softer than a light summer breeze, but comforting enough simply by its presence.

The actual medic in this room, Aoi, was now also near you on the other side of the bed, cramming around in search of some utensils to aid you in your seemingly panicked state. It was difficult for her to find the things she needed, because she could and did not want to take her eyes off of your finally awoken form. She was scared that if she looked away for even one second, you would be asleep again.

Before you could process everyone's presence or even say anything, someone else was suddenly climbing up to the bed, throwing themselves at you.

"Nezuko! Careful!", Tanijro yelled out in terror. What if his sister accidently hurt you? Your body had been through a lot of damage and especially exhaustion after the battle.

A short silence that filled the room was interrupted by your slight chuckling.

Everyone proceeded to hold in and stare at you.

"Is this...real?", you asked between chuckles in disbelief.

Tanjiro was the first to react "O-Of course this is real! You're not dreaming!"