Chapter 18: Good Soup

It was silent, when you were walking along a path with Tanjiro. You could clearly tell, that he was upset. The reason was obvious to you: Muzan Kibutsuji.

Constantly, you were side-eyeing him with worry.

Meanwhile, Sakomo had placed himself on your shoulder again. It seemed like he wanted to tell you something, but he knew you were not paying attention to him right now.

As you felt Tanjiro's grasp on your hand tightening, you wanted to comfort him, but you were interrupted by a certain crow.

"Next up, Asakusa, Tokyo! Rumors of a demon lurking there!"

Tanjiro finally snapped out of his thoughts "Erk! We're heading to our next mission already?"

"Oh yes, you are!", Tanjiro's crow said, as he stretched out his wing.

"Sorry...", Sakomo on your shoulder spoke quietly and you smiled at him. Was that what he was trying to tell you this whole time?

"Hold on a minute...", Tanjiro wanted to complain, but was pecked by the bird "No can do!"

"Come on, just give us a minute! Hold on! What?"

"Just shut up and go already!"

"That's enough you two", you said in between your laughs, "There are no breaks for demon slayers, huh?"

***

"Wow", you could only say, as you were standing in the middle of the city. You had already been excited, when you entered the town in the northwest but this...this was on a whole different level.

There were people everywhere, diverse scents coming from every direction and the lights and colors were so beautiful. It was like a dream; you had not been in a big city like this in years!

The warm toned colors shinned bright in the darkness of the night, illuminating the peoples faces with a soft hue. So many new sounds: people chatting leisurely, the sizzling of freshly cooking food, soft music...it was a bit overwhelming at first, but you were mostly mesmerized.

Your head shot in all sorts of directions, as if you were afraid of missing something. There was just so much to take in!

Tanjiro, on the other hand, was standing there with a flabbergasted expression on his face. He had Nezuko and you on his hands on each side. His sister was asleep though, so thankfully she did not get thrown into this situation like he did.

"Are the cities this advanced now? It's nighttime, but it's so bright out!", Tanjiro pressed out and looked at you. His face momentarily relaxed, as he stared at you. Your eyes were glimmering with excitement, taking in every single detail around you. A bright smile was plastered onto your face, shinning brighter than the city lights...

"It's so beautiful though...look at all these lights and different shops!", you exclaimed happily and turned to him.

Tanjiro blinked at you. He was staring, he definitely was, but he could not help it. It felt like he was overheating. Just looking at your expression made him feel so much joy, that he forgot about all his problems prior to this. If he could see you like this all the time, he would not mind the sensory overload due to the city. He would endure it for you every day, no doubt he would...

You noticed he was awfully quiet and remembered, that this was all a bit new to him. So, you stepped a bit closer and pulled up his hood for him, to give him a bit of comfort "This must be a little much for you, right? Sorry...you're already not feeling too comfortable here and I'm just jumping around like an excited puppy."