Fairy Princess

"Returning those books?" asked the librarian.

"Yes, all three of them," replied Andrew.

"You're a quick reader," said the librarian. "At your age, with your busy university schedule and social life, I wasn't expecting you to finish reading all those books in a week."

"I don't hang out with anyone after university classes are over," said Andrew. "I prefer being by myself and reading a good book. I find a good book to be a great companion."

"I guess you'll be borrowing more books for this week," said the librarian.

"Of course," said Andrew.

Andrew walked over to the fantasy section and started to browse through the books: tales about knights fighting dragons, wizards going to magical schools, characters falling through magical portals. There were so many different stories to choose from. Which one would he choose?

One book on the shelf caught his eye. The title on the spine read "Princess of the Fairies." The title intrigued him, and he reached out to pull it from the shelf.

The book was large and heavy. The green cover with a picture of a fairy made it attractive. Turning the heavy book around, Andrew couldn't find any blurb on the back cover.

Balancing the book in both hands, Andrew carried it to the librarian. Arriving at the counter, he dropped the book and took out his library card. The librarian scanned the library card and the barcode inside the book.

"Looks like an interesting book to read," said the librarian.

"I don't know how long it will take me to read the book," said Andrew.

"If you don't finish reading it in two weeks, just bring it back and I can renew it for you," said the librarian.

Andrew lifted the book and took it to his dorm room. Placing it on his bed, he began reading it immediately. The story was fascinating, and his mind was inside the narrative. He didn't even hear his roommate, George, come in and try to talk to him.

"Earth to Andrew," said George, trying to get his attention.

It was hopeless; Andrew was glued to the book.

As dinner time approached, Andrew didn't get up to go to the dining hall to eat. George pulled him by the arm, but he wouldn't move. So George left without him to go to dinner.

Coming back to the dorm, George found Andrew still reading the book. He decided to go to bed and not bother Andrew, but Andrew wouldn't turn off the light and go to bed. What was wrong with Andrew?

The following day, George found Andrew sleeping on the book.

"I thought you wouldn't go to sleep," said George.

"How long was I reading the book last night?" asked Andrew.

"Who knows? I was fast asleep," replied George. "We better get to breakfast and then class."

"I think I'm in love with the fairy princess," said Andrew.

George giggled at the comment.

Andrew and George returned to their dorm in the afternoon to find a large insect flying around. Andrew and George each took a swatter and went after the insect. It was flying at an incredibly fast speed. George trapped the insect with a jar and closed the lid. On close inspection, they both realised it wasn't an insect at all. It was a fairy, just like the one on the cover of the book that Andrew was reading.

"It's a fairy!" exclaimed George.

"Thank you for stating the obvious," said Andrew.

"What do we do with it?" asked George.

"Let's open a window and release it," said Andrew.

Andrew opened a window while George unscrewed the lid on the jar. He released the fairy outside, but it flew back inside and circled over Andrew's head a few times.

Andrew lifted off the ground and found himself flying in the air.

"Looks like she gave me some of her fairy dust," said Andrew.

"Get down," said George.

"I'm going to follow her to fairyland," said Andrew.

"Are you mad?" asked George.

"I'm madly in love with the fairy princess, and she has come for me," said Andrew as he flew around the room.

George took an umbrella and, using the hook-like end, tried to pull Andrew down. Andrew was edging towards the window, following the fairy outside.

"Don't you leave the room!" yelled George.

"See you later, George," said Andrew, who was now outside the room.

George hurried to the window to witness Andrew fly behind the fairy until they had both disappeared into the distance. George couldn't believe what he had just witnessed. No one would believe him if he told anyone.