Meteor Shower (Aim to Engage Favorite Pick)

Linda and Helen had driven two hours from their town to the great outback where the soil was red. The outback was free of light pollution, making it the perfect place for stargazing on a clear night. In a place with no trees or other high objects, the visual field only contains stars.

Lying on the back of the pick-up truck, Linda and Helen looked upward at the night sky. It offered them a perspective shift, giving them an opportunity to reassess their priorities. The stars that appeared redder were cooler and usually older than the blue stars.

Gazing at the stars, they spotted the Milky Way. The centre was the brightest part of the galaxy. Shifting their gaze across the night sky, they spotted The Big Dipper. A white, cloud-like shape among the starry sky caught their attention. It was the Large Magellanic Cloud, a dwarf galaxy and a satellite of the Milky Way.

Linda and Helen, two long-time friends, had come out here to get the best view of the meteor shower that was to happen that night. They had arrived early to stargaze for a while before the big event began.

As the two friends lay on the back of the pick-up truck, the first few meteors began to appear in the sky. They were mesmerised by the sight. They had never been able to get such a clear view back in the town with the light pollution and the trees and tall buildings blocking their view.

"Make a wish," said Helen.

"You know they are meteors and not really shooting stars," said Linda.

"It wouldn't hurt to make a wish," said Helen.

"They don't grant wishes," said Linda, irritated.

"Come on," nagged Helen.

"All right," said Linda.

Linda closed her eyes and made a wish.

"I made the wish," said Linda.

"What did you wish?" asked Helen.

"The wish won't come true if I tell you," replied Linda.

"Come on," Helen begged.

"I wished for a baby," said Linda.

"I hope it comes true," said Helen. "You'll make a great mother."

"I've been wanting to be a mother for a long time," said Linda. "Ever since the doctor gave the bad news, I've been wishing for a miracle."

Helen gazed at her friend Linda and noticed her sad expression.

"Hey, look at that meteor," said Helen, pointing at a meteor.

Linda looked up at the night sky to see the meteor that Helen was pointing at, moving slowly across the sky. It was getting larger and larger. The meteor had changed direction and was heading towards them.

Helen grabbed Linda and got off the back of the pick-up truck.

"Get in the truck!" yelled Helen to Linda.

Helen quickly got into the driver's seat of the truck and started the engine. Linda sat beside her in the passenger seat. Helen put the truck into drive and pressed on the accelerator as hard as she could with her foot. The truck sped across the red soil and onto the outback highway.

Helen glanced in the rearview mirror and noticed the meteor edging closer to them. Both Helen and Linda were panicking, and Helen was whispering a prayer under her breath.

The truck was now speeding at 200 km/h, with the meteor coming closer towards them. Helen turned the wheel right and went off the highway onto the red soil. The meteor landed as they turned off from the highway, just missing them.

Helen stopped the truck and looked into the rearview mirror to see the crash site of the meteor.

"Why don't we get some broken-off meteor rock to take with us home," said Linda. "It will be a good souvenir."

Helen and Linda both got out of the car and headed towards the meteor to see if there were any broken pieces. But what they came across shocked them both. Instead of a meteor, they were both staring at a small spaceship.

Helen and Linda both slowly backed away, trying their best not to disturb whatever was within the spaceship. The top hatch suddenly opened. Curiosity got the best of both of them. They edged towards the spaceship to get a glance at what lay within.

"It's a baby," said Linda. "Do you see this too?"

"I'm seeing this too," replied Helen. "He's asleep."

"Where did it come from?" questioned Linda.

"Who knows," said Helen. "Looks like your wish came true."

Linda went up to the baby who was wrapped in a blanket. She carefully cradled it in her arms.

"James will adore him," said Helen. "We should call him and tell him the good news."

Helen called James and informed him of the wish and the mystery baby. James was over the moon to be a father; it was his dream. Linda and James had received their miracle child, one that came to them from the stars.

"Welcome to the family, little one," said Linda. "You may have another family somewhere else, but they sent you to us to take care of you for now."