Zombie Tale

Lily walked over to the curtains in her bedroom and pulled them apart. It was supposed to be a beautiful morning according to the forecast on TV last night, but what she saw out the window was an entirely different sight.

The quiet town she called home was now shrouded in a thick fog, obscuring visibility and creating an eerie ambiance over the once-familiar landscape.

As the fog mysteriously dissipated into thin air, it unraveled a spine-chilling sight: zombies roaming the streets. Their ghastly behaviour left her both terrified and strangely amused. With guttural grunts and no coherent words, the zombies stumbled through the streets, their vacant gazes fixed ahead, unaware of their surroundings. Adding a touch of grim humour, they frequently collided with unsuspecting objects like lampposts. The bizarre sight caused Lily to elicit a mixture of fright and reluctant giggles.

"There have been reports of zombies roaming the town's streets following the mysterious dissipation of the fog," said a voice on the radio. "If you happen to witness the zombies, please contact the authority. They will help get rid of the zombies."

Lily continued to gaze at the eerie scene outside her window. As she looked, she almost had a heart attack. Her beloved husband was spotted among the zombies. He too had been transformed into an unrecognisable, monstrous zombie.

"Those who ventured out into the fog unprotected have sadly been transformed into unrecognisable, monstrous zombies," said the voice on the radio. "We advise all residents to wear protective gear, namely a face mask, before stepping outdoors. We still do not know all the side effects of the aftermath of the fog for the normal residents of the town. Please, for your safety, do not breathe the outdoor air until we know it is safe to do so."

Lily picked up her mobile phone, hesitating to call the authority. She didn't know where they would take the zombies. Would they kill the zombies? She didn't want her husband to be killed, even if he was now turned into a zombie.

"For all of you hesitating to call the authority about the zombies, due to a loved one having turned into one, I would like to assure you that no zombies will be hurt," said the voice on the radio. "The zombies will be taken to the abandoned, half-built theme park on the outskirts of town. Until our local scientists find a cure, they will reside there."

The theme park had been an ambitious vision, but due to financial problems, it had been abruptly abandoned halfway through construction. Its haunting remains now stand as a reminder of lost ambition, laying on the outskirts of town as a desolate wasteland.

Hearing these words, Lily had regained her confidence in the authority. She needed to do the right thing and call the authority to let them know about the zombies in her street.

Lily dialled the number of the police station. There seemed to be a big line of callers to the station as she was put on hold. After a long fifteen minutes of waiting, a police officer spoke.

"Hello, how may I assist you?" inquired the police officer.

"I would like to report a zombie sighting in front of my house," Lily stated.

"Where do you live?" inquired the police officer.

"Seventh Almond Street," replied Lily.

"We will send some officers down to your area to round up the zombies," said the police officer. "Do you know of anyone who has been transformed into a zombie?"
"My husband," answered Lily.

"What was he wearing when he left the house?" asked the police officer.

"A red and white striped shirt," said Lily.

"Don't worry about your husband; we will take good care of him until a cure is found," said the police officer.

"Thank you, officer," said Lily.

With those last few words, the conversation was over. Lily had to wait patiently for the authority to come and do their job.

After twenty minutes of waiting, a large blue truck entered the street. Two men came out of the truck and opened the door of the trailer. Using fishing nets, each man threw a net onto a nearby zombie, trapping them. After successfully catching each zombie, the men hauled them into the trailer of the truck.

With all the zombies loaded onto the truck, the men drove out of the street, heading to the abandoned, half-built theme park on the outskirts of town.