Poor Unfortunate Soul

Some say our destiny is written even before we are born. There are also some who say that destiny is woven like a cloth, making one's destiny intertwine with many others. There are some who fight to change their own destiny, to take control of the life that belongs to them. It is said our fate lives within us. You only need to be brave enough to see it.

"Come on in, my children," said an old lady. "What is your problem?"

"We were told you can help remove our magical mark that appears on our skin. The mark that determines your soulmate," said a man.

The old lady stared at them.

"If you're not here to buy one of my antique items, then please leave. Goodbye," said the old lady.

She pointed at the door, indicating for them to leave.

"Please, we were told to come here," pleaded the lady.

"By whom?" inquired the old lady.

"A waiter at the bistro in town," replied the lady.

"Fine, I'll help," said the old lady. "Your fortune that I can do a little magic. Something that I've always possessed. I use it on behalf of miserable, lonely, and depressed."

"So you can really help us?" asked the lady.

"Of course," replied the old lady. "If someone is longing to be more attractive or wants to get the girl, do I help them? Yes indeed."

"Aren't you a witch?" asked the lady. "Should we trust you?"

"I admit that in the past, I've been wicked. They weren't kidding when they called me a witch. You will find, nowadays, that I've mended all my ways, an angel you can call me now," answered the old lady.

The man and the lady stepped inside the cottage. The door slammed behind them.

"How will you remove the marking?" asked the man.

"A potion. I will make a potion with different ingredients, and you will both take it," replied the old lady.

"Is the potion safe?" asked the man.

"Do you want me to remove your markings or not?" asked the old lady.

"Of course, we want you to remove our markings," answered the man.

"Then no more questions," said the old lady. "Everyone out of the cottage."

The three of them, including a raven, left the cottage and stood in front of it. The old lady clapped her hands and then proceeded to the door. Opening the door, the man and the lady saw that the interior had changed. It was now furnished with everything that a witch would need to conjure spells and make potions.

The old lady walked over to a big black cauldron lying over the fire in the fireplace. She took some jars with ingredients out of a cupboard and started adding them one by one. Taking a large wooden spoon, the old lady stirred the potion for a while.

The man and lady were curious about the potion and had edged towards the cauldron. The Raven swooped in front of their faces and cawed at them to indicate they should get away from the cauldron.

The potion made a bursting noise, startling the man, lady, and raven.

"It's done!" exclaimed the old lady.

With long metal tongs, the old lady reached inside the cauldron and began to pull something out. She brought it over to a table where the man and lady could get a proper look at it.

"A cake?" questioned the man.

"You don't want it?" inquired the old lady.

"Of course, we want it," said the lady quickly.

The old lady got a cake-cutting knife, sliced the cake, and then brought two small plates and forks. She placed a small slice of cake on each plate.

"Eat," said the old lady.

The man and lady each took a plate and ate the cake with their forks.

"Let me see your wrists," said the old lady.

The man and lady both showed their right wrists. To their astonishment, the marking was no longer there.

"Thank you," said the lady.

"Thank you, how can we repay you?" asked the man.

"Just don't tell anyone about me," replied the old lady. "I don't want the authorities knowing about my ability to remove markings. They will have my head for it."

"Thank you," said the man and lady as they exited the cottage.

Turning back to take a final glance at the cottage, they saw a bunch of trees where the cottage once stood. The cottage had disappeared into thin air.