Chapter 21 part 1

Start from the beginning

"I'll be back as soon as I can, it might be an hour or so" he announced before walking off, the heavy door shutting behind him as he left.

Matias walked to his bed with shaky legs. His heart was beating hard and fast and his entire body was unsteady.

For nearly five minutes he just sat there. Not moving. Not even really thinking. It was like he was an empty corpse.

And then, suddenly, tears started flowing out of his eyes, onto his cheeks, and then landing in his lap.

He didn't know why he was crying, he had never been too much of an emotional person, but he couldn't stop. The tears just kept coming and he didn't have any will left to try and stop them.

Eventually he laid back in the bed, getting as comfortable as he could, and he continued to cry.

He was so happy, and angry, and sad, and exhausted, and all the emotions he had been trying to avoid hit him all at once.

His thoughts were clouded and, eventually, they cleared as he drifted to sleep.

After some amount of time, which Matias could only assume was about an hour, a loud bang woke him.

He sat up quickly, startled, and for a moment he forgot where he was. He half expected to be waking up in his own bed, also partially expecting to be awoken on Samuels couch.

Though instead he was met with a dirty, smelly, and uncomfortable cell.

Officer Hinton appeared in front of Matias's cell, not wasting a second inserting the key and opening the door wide.

"Let's go" he spoke casually.

Matias could only nod, pulling himself to his feet and exiting the cell. He couldn't help but pray he'd never have to be in there again.

He expected to have to go through a long process before he could actually step foot out in public, but it was actually a surprisingly simple procedure.

Officer Hinton took him to another room where he could change into some more 'normal' clothes— clothes that weren't exclusively for prisoners.

And then, they walked out.

Officer Hinton walked out with Matias and gestured to his cop car.

"The hell is that for?" Matias questioned, still not fully trusting the police.

"Depends" the officer responded "we can go to your house, if you want to change or grab something or anything else like that" he paused "or we can go straight to where we found the blood"

Matias perked up, staring wide eyed at the officer.

"You mean where the hero went missing?" He questioned, though he already knew the answer.

"Well, it's where we suspect he went missing" Officer Hinton responded blandly.

Matias chose not to argue about it. He knew Officer Hinton was fully aware that it was, in fact, where Samuel went missing.

"Let's go" Matias announced eagerly.

He climbed into the car, waiting of Officer Hinton, who was much slower and less rushed, to get into the drivers seat.

"To your house or?" He asked once he was in the car.

Matias gave him a what-do-you-think look, and they pulled out of the lot.

From the prison to Greenlake it was a thirty minute drive. It was probably the only part of the city that was isolated from everything else.

Throughout the drive Matias struggled to keep his breathing at a normal rate and struggled even more to keep himself from shaking.