Christmas traditions

Age: 3 years old

Tw: Cuteness overload

Jay's pov
Dec. 24th 6:30pm

I was setting up the baking stuff in the kitchen while Caitlin was cleaning up her toys. She wanted to bake and decorate cookies for Santa. I set all the ingredients up on the counter, making sure I had the right measurements before walking into the living room to see if Caitlin was done cleaning up. "Cait, you done?" I ask, and I see her sitting on the floor playing with her barbies. "Cait, what did I say? I told you to clean up. It's not playtime. You want all your toys cleaned up so you can play with the toys Santa brings you tomorrow. Please finish cleaning up." She huffed and continued to clean up her toys. "Thank you." I help her clean up so we can get the cookies started, and once we're done, I pick her up and carry her to the kitchen. I sat her on the counter and preheat the oven, and grabbed a mixing bowl. "First, we add a cup of unsalted butter and a cup of sugar." I say, helping her pour them into the bowl before grabbing the mixer. "Ok, put your hand on mine, baby." I say as she puts her hand on mine so she can help me mix the batter. I turn the mixer on speed 5, and we mix it for 1 minute. "What next, Daddy?" She asks, looking up at me. "Next, we add vanilla extract an egg." "How much nilla extrac?" "1 1/2 tsp." I say as I help her pour it into the bowl. "I do it myself, pease." Catie asked, taking the eggs and giving me the biggest puppy eyes she could give me, and I smile. "Ok, just be very, very careful. You dont want to get any of the egg shells in it, ok?" "Ok, Daddy." I watch her carefully crack the egg and add it to the batter. "We do flour now?" "Yeah, baby flour's next. You add 3 cups of flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, and 3/4 salt." I say, passing her each ingredient as she pours them in. After we finished mixing it up, I let Catie lightly dust the counter with flour, and before I knew it, she threw flour on me and started giggling. "Oh, you little sneaky snake." I say as I start tickling her. "Daddy." She squealed and started squirming. She grabbed more andI grab her wrist. "Oh no, you don't." I gently pry her hand open and throw the floor at her. "DADDY NO." She screams laughing, and we both start throwing flour at each other. I picked her up and peppered her face with kisses as she laughed. "I love you so much, baby girl." "I love you too, Daddy." She giggled. "Alright, let's finish these cookies for Santa." I roll out the dough and let Catie pick out which cookie cutters we use and let her cut out the cookies. I put the cookies on a baking tray and put them in the oven. "Come on, Firefly." I pick her up and carry her into the living room. "Can we make a fort and stay up to catch Santa Daddy pease?" She asked, giving me those big puppy dog eyes again. "Sure baby.'' I help her set up a fort as we wait for the cookies. "They're done." She squeals when she hears the timer ding and runs towards the kitchen. "Don't touch the oven until i get in there, baby." I walk into the kitchen and get the cookies out of the oven and set them on the counter. we've got to let it cool, baby ok, and then we can decorate them." I say as I carry her back to the living room and set her down on the pillows in the fort and lay down beside her and turn on Rudolph. After a few minutes, I can tell Catie's getting impatient, so I pause the movie and ask. "You want to go decorate them now?" "Yea yea yea." She squeals, standing up and started jumping up and down. "Alright." I laugh, "Come on." I follow her into the kitchen and get the stuff to make the icing. I set her on the counter again and grabbed a mixing bowl. "The icing is simple. You just put 1 pound of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup egg whites, 2 tbsp of corn syrup, and 1.5 tbsp of water." I say as I help her pour the ingredients into the bowl and mix it before dividing it into bowls so we can make different colors. I mix up a few colors and add them to a piping bag, and set them up on the table, and we both sit down and start decorating the cookies. She was eating the icing more than decorating with it, but I didn't care it's supposed to be a fun night. After we finished decorating the cookies, we made some Christmas ornaments before going back to our fort and watched Christmas movies for the rest of the day. We watched Rudolph, frosty, home alone, and we were halfway through the rise of the guardians when I noticed she fell asleep. I looked at the time to see that it was 10:30. I kissed her head and carried her to bed and tucked her in before going into the kitchen and cleaning everything up, smiling as the day replayed in my head and made me smile. I never knew how much joy a little girl could bring, but she's brought me so much joy, and she lights up my whole day, my beautiful little firefly. When I finally finished everything I needed to get done it was nearly 1 so i went and laid down and fell asleep only to be woken up a few hours later at 5:30 by a very hyper 3 year old who was ready to open presents.

A/n I know this is late, but I've been super busy and have been sick 3 times since before Christmas, but I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year