Mortal combat

"Hello there!" The killer smiled wickedly. "I almost got bored waiting here for few days. Now, this is getting exciting."

Jiang Cheng yelled (like he always does) towards the young man on the roof, "Who are you? Why do you kill innocent people?"

"Hahahaha! Innocent?" The man laughed as though he just heard the most ridiculous thing ever told. 

Gu Wei could feel the hair on the back of his neck raising and goosebumps were forming. 

God, help me... Even his laughter sounds crazy! I think I will have a nightmare tonight...

The grinning murderer stood up and tilted his head up with an exaggerated expression of curiosity. Before he could jump down from the roof, someone in white came flying from the sky like some superhero on a mission to stop him. 

"Xue Yang, this time I won't let you escape!" The man announced.

"Oh Xiao Xingchen, you're so persistent." Xue Yang said in a sing-song tone, wearing a mocking smirk on his face, "You finally got me after tracking me for such a long time."

"Since you came out of Qishan, many cultivators have been murdered. I have been tracking you for half a month and you got away every time. Now you've killed the entire Chang clan. I will make you pay for your crime today!" Xiao Xingchen declared, pointing his sword at Xue Yang.

"Ah, okay! Guilty as charged!" Xue Yang chuckled with glee. "But as for my punishment, it depends on whether you can catch me!" With that mischievous declaration, he leaped onto the neighboring roof, ready to make his grand escape.

Xiao Xingchen wasted no time and darted after him.

"Stay put," Lan Wangji ordered Gu Wei, his voice firm but tinged with worry, before launching himself into action, chasing after the elusive murderer.

Jiang Cheng followed suit, leaving Gu Wei all alone, watching the three men vaulting from roof to roof like acrobatic squirrels in an endless game of chase.

Xue Yang maniacal laughter was heard through the night air sending shivers down Gu Wei's spine. The temptation to just quietly slip away and let the others handle this dangerous situation was strong, but...

Maybe I should just leave quietly and let these people handle him... But, Lan Zhan... Why did you go and chase him?? How can I leave without you? And of course, Jiang Cheng too. 

Despite the overwhelming urge to bail, Gu Wei found himself immobilized, his body frozen in place as he tried to keep his courage up. He wasn't a coward, he told himself repeatedly. 

In the midst of the chaotic game of tag, Xue Yang suddenly realized that Gu Wei was not partaking in the wild chase. With a devious giggle, he threw a few talismans towards the the men that were tailing behind him, trapping each of them in a sticky net of magic. With a sinister grin, he swiftly changed course and zoomed towards his target like a lightning bolt while the the other men fought to get out of the trap.

Before Gu Wei could even comprehend what was happening, Xue Yang had already landed in front of him. 

Oh no! 

Thankfully, Gu Wei had inherited more than just Wei Wuxian's memories. He was also blessed with the agility and senses package, allowing him to react like a ninja. In a quick flick, he stepped back and summoned Suibian, his trusty sidekick, before striking a defensive pose. His heart decided to lodge itself in his throat when he saw the glint of murderous intent flashing in the eyes of the murderer.

Ahhh! Shit! Shit! SHIT! Why did you come here now?? What do I do?! 

"Nice reflexes!" Xue Yang snickered, his eyes gleamed mischievously, his head tilting at an angle as he locked his gaze on his new target. "Well, well, well, aren't you a sight to behold," he mused, playfully tilting his head this way and that to appreciate every angle. "Oh, I have an idea! How about a little game, just you and me?" With a grin that stretched from ear to ear, revealing his sharp canines, Xue Yang wasted no time in launching his surprise attack.