'Damsel' in distress

"Why not?" Gu Wei asked, sounding apprehensive.

"Because..." The old lady looked away, clearly unsure of her words for a long minute. Finally, however, the man continued, "Because there is no other place around here you can spend the night at."

Bullshit! Sleeping under a tree is better than this place!

Lan Wangji opened his mouth, "Wei Ying wants to leave so we'll leave."

The old woman shook her head, "No. You will stay here." She gestured at them to take a seat by the cave wall.

It's too suspicious. Why would she insist on making us stay? Something very weird is going on here.

Gu Wei tugged on Lan Wangji's sleeve, "Lan Zhan, let's leave now."

"Mn." Lan Wangji nodded and they began to walk towards the exit of the cave after giving the odd elders a bow. Nie Huaisang scurried behind them.

Once outside, Gu Wei took in a huge breath of relief when they're outside. "Thank god. That was freaky."

Nie Huaisang blinked, trying to wrap his mind around that statement. "I never took you as a scaredy cat, Wei-xiong."

Gu Wei gave him a flat stare. "What?"

"You are usually fearless." Nie Huaisang pointed out with an impish grin.

"Aren't you pot calling the kettle black now?" Gu Wei grumbled, shaking his head. "Besides, it is just common sense to avoid danger."

"But you aren't afraid of anything." Nie Huaisang stated. "I mean, you weren't. You used to seek danger last time for just for the thrill of it."

Should I pretend that there's a mosquito on his cheek and smack this noisy kid?

Gu Wei contemplated on the idea for a second before settling on glaring at him, "Well, now I don't and I won't. Can you please shut up now?" He snapped.

One more word and there'll be two mosquitoes!

Lan Wangji frowned at Nie Huaisang, eyes narrowed disapprovingly. Nie Huaisang wisely refrained from saying anymore.

Thank you irrational alpha!

There was a sound coming from in front of them that caused everyone to freeze. The sound of heavy and draggy footsteps approaching from all directions and some weird low growling... that could belong to neither human nor beast. It's getting louder and louder as it gets nearer.

Oh what now?! This world is really testing my scare factor and my bladder capacity!

Lan Wangji tensed, hand twitching ever so slightly in anticipation. His fingers curled around the sword hilt.

"We should move faster!" Gu Wei whispered urgently, "Something's heading straight our way."

This was a mistake. Why did I ever agree to come here!?

They couldn't fly out of there because one, Gu Wei has no confidence to mount his sword on his own. Two, Nie Huaisang too has no confidence to fly with his saber (and he didn't even bring it with him!).

Great! Just great! We should run now!

"Wei Ying! Get down!" Lan Wangji yelled, grabbing onto Gu Wei's arm with his free hand and dragging him backwards, away from danger.

What the...!!

Gu Wei yelped as he crashed into the alpha's chest, clinging onto his shirt for dear life as they both tumbled backwards.