Needles

"Their soul had been returned." Lan Wangji said, referring to the once zombified people now looked like they just woke up from sleep-walking.

So the term 'human puppets' was due to their soul being controlled. Cut the string and they return to normal. How interesting...  

Gu Wei nodded, as he observed their surroundings. "Isn't that the granny... and the suspicious uncle?" He pointed at the elder woman and man that were in the cave that night. Turned out, their souls were snatched too after the three of them left Dafan mountain the day before. So, they were among the horde too. 

"Why do they know Maiden Wen?" Gu Wei asked Lan Wangji, looking questioningly at the two persons (formerly potential serial killers) who seemed to know Wen Qing and currently having a heartfelt conversation with her.

"Let's ask her." Lan Wangji suggested.

Gu Wei nodded and they walked over to where Wen Qing was. The old lady and man lowered their heads as soon as they saw the two of them approaching.

"So, in the cave..." Gu Wei trailed off as the two of the elders suddenly knelt down before them and apologized endlessly for the previous night incident.

"Young Masters, we apologize." The elderly woman bowed her head low to the ground, sobbing, "We were threatened to do that. We never would have thought to harm you. Please forgive us. "

The man also bowed at the same level, his voice was filled with remorse and shame. "What we did was unforgivable but it wasn't our will. Still, we are sorry, Young Masters."

"Please do not do this." Gu Wei Gu Wei said quickly, feeling uncomfortable with older people bowing so deeply in front of him. Now that he knew they were forced to do it or die, he couldn't bring himself to be angry anymore at them.

Guess I am still weak to tears... How can I blame them? They are just victims of bad people.

"I forgive you so please stand up." Gu Wei said as he helped the two up by their forearms and straightened their backs.

"Thank you...for your kindness, Young Master." The elder female whispered, looking up, tears still streaming down her face.

"It's alright, no harm was done." Gu Wei comforted her.

Except for my Achilles ligaments... But I guess, they would lose their lives if they didn't obey whoever that was. Although it's not a rocket science that it would be one of the Wen. Maybe the father. Maybe the son. But one thing for sure, they are wicked indeed. 

Lan Wangji just watched the scene quietly before he decided to speak up, "The temple in the cave. Was it your clan's ancestral temple?" he asked, directing the question to Wen Qing.

"Yes." Wen Qing affirmed. 

 "What happened there?" Nie Huaisang piped in from behind curiously. Jiang Cheng looked at Wen Qing curiously as well. 

Wen Qing took a breath before she proceeded to tell the tragedy that happened when she was younger, how the dancing fairy started acting up and killed her father while her brother's soul was partially snatched by the statue. She finished her story with: "Since then, Wen Ning and I were brought up by His Excellency back in Qishan."

"So, you are saying that because Wen Ruohan raised you and your brother, you have no choice but to obey his orders?" Gu Wei asked skeptically.

Wen Qing answered, "Yes." 

Lan Wangji questioned, "Why did the fairy statue started hurting people?"

"I have no idea." Wen Qing answered, shaking her head although the slight pause before she spoke indicated that she was not telling the truth.