Before

When your parents divorced it came as a surprise.

You and your sister, Sofi, were in the living room, watching a movie at the ripe time of 7:43 am when your mom walked into the living room with tearful eyes. She froze mid-step when she saw the both of you, the look of shock loud on her face. In your 18 years of life, you've only seen her like that once, when her mother suddenly died.

Sofi grabbed your hand and squeezed, bringing you back. You held her hand back, tightly.

'Girls,' your mom, Sinu, said. 'What are you doing up?' She rubbed her eyes, acting like she just woke up.

'We couldn't sleep,' you replied hesitantly.

And then it was quiet for too long or maybe it was too quick but you remember Sofi shaking beside you and how you couldn't quite catch your breath.

You finally got the courage to ask, 'what's wrong?'

At that moment your father walked in with three suitcases and a grim expression. He didn't notice you two so he pushed into your mom with a hard shoulder, grunting out a move.

Your 'hey!' came out loud and hard and just a bit scared. You stood up, watching, looking, one hand still holding Sofi's, the other a tight fist. Your dad froze, just like your mom had, and looked at you with wide, wild eyes. You felt like the world was crumbling around you.

'What's happening?' You choked out, your throat too tight. 'Where are you going?' and no answered, no one looked at each other. 'Mom? Dad?' and it came out with tears.

Finally, finally, your mom came up to you, hugged you too tight, too long, too sorry. 'Your father-' she said his title with disgust, 'is leaving.'

'Leaving?' Your sister's small voice filled the too quiet room and your dad scoffed.

'We're getting a divorce,' he grumbled, his too big hands running through his hair. 'I'll see you guys later.' And that was that.

Your dad slammed the door shut behind him, your mother held your sister on the couch, and you were left standing in the middle of the living room.

You never did get an explanation.