23 The Man Who Knew Too Much: Part 2

The drive back to Bobby's place was a blur. I just sat in silence, watching trees and cars go by. I honestly don't remember if anyone even tried to talk to me.

Bobby had reinforced the panic room with angel-banishing symbols, so we figured it was the safest place for us. After we got Sam safely into the panic room, I fell asleep on a cot in the corner of the room.

The next moment, I found myself back in the dreaded chair, tied up and facing Kieran again.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said with a smile.

Panic set in, and I desperately tried to convince myself that it was just another nightmare. "This isn't real," I quivered.

Kieran smiled, taunting me, "You sure about that?"

"This is just a dream," I said as I closed my eyes tightly, trying to wake myself up.

"Does this feel like a dream?" he asked before smashing my hand with a sledgehammer.

I screamed out in agony. My fingers were going in unnatural directions, and my hand was bleeding from just one blow. He raised the sledgehammer again.

"No! No! No!" I shouted, shutting my eyes again in terror.

"Maddison! Hey, hey!" Dean's voice cut through the nightmare, and I opened my eyes to find him looking at me worried. I must've been fighting with him because I was sitting up, and he had his hands on my wrists.

"Get off me!" I yelled, pushing him away, and quickly stood up. I rushed toward the door, my heart pounding.

"Hey, will you talk to me?!" Dean called after me as I left the room.

As I turned the corner and headed up the stairs, the anxiety overwhelmed me, and I began to hyperventilate.

Nate ran down the stairs toward me. "I heard yelling. Are you okay?" he asked, reaching out to touch me.

I waved Nate's hand away. "Don't," I stated firmly, not wanting him to touch me.

I felt completely overwhelmed, and I needed some space. I ran past him, feeling the urgency to escape. Once I reached the landing, I took off toward the bathroom. I slammed the door shut and threw up in the toilet. After rinsing my mouth and taking a deep breath, I slid down against the wall, feeling utterly broken and defeated.

My hand was still throbbing from the nightmare, and every time I closed my eyes, I saw the image of it mangled. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I tried to compose myself.

"Okay, Maddi, get it together," I whispered, trying to muster the strength to get through this.

I took one more deep breath and stood up, facing my reflection in the mirror. I looked broken and scared, and anger washed over me. How could I let those jackass demons win? I was so angry that I couldn't stop myself from punching the mirror. It shattered across the image of my face, and I just kept going until my hand throbbed. I stopped when I noticed blood dripping down the broken glass. The realization of what I had just done hit me, and I looked down at my hand. Small bits of glass were in it, and a shard stuck between my knuckles.

"Oh, crap, crap, crap," I said as I rinsed my hand in the sink, trying to remove the tiny bits of glass. Just as I was about to pull out a shard stuck between my knuckles, Bobby knocked on the door, startling me.

"Maddi? You okay?" he asked with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, hoping he would just leave me alone.

"You sure? Sounded like some–" he began to say.

"Please, go away," I interrupted.

After a moment, I heard him sigh, and his footsteps disappeared down the hall. With a sigh of relief, I focused back on my injured hand, carefully removing the remaining glass and rinsing the wound until it stopped bleeding. To my surprise, I noticed that I was healing. I watched as all the cuts in my hand healed. For some reason, a sense of calm washed over me, and for a brief moment, I felt okay, as if I were safe again. It was something I hadn't felt in a long time, but it also made me feel guilty for enjoying it. I shook my head and began cleaning the bathroom the best that I could.