1 It's a Normal Life For Me: Part 2

September 26th, 2010

Toward the end of the month, I came up with a great idea to continually work out and keep busy if I really wanted to.

"Hey, Dean?" I asked as I joined him in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for everyone.

He turned to me. "Yeah?"

"If I bought a punching bag, do you think you could clear space in the garage and hang it up for me?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't see why not."

Later that night, Dean took me out to buy a punching bag, and then we came back and cleared part of the garage for me. Once he hung it up, I tested it out for about an hour.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

October 12th, 2010

"No, Dean, I'm not doing that!" I ran up the stairs toward my room. "That was never part of the deal!"

"Maddison!" Dean shouted, "You better not slam that door!"

I ran into my room and slammed the door shut behind me.

"I'm not talking about this anymore!" I sat on my bed with my arms crossed.

Dean opened my door and stepped in. "We're trying out the normal life. School is part of that."

I shook my head. "What's the point? I'm gonna be way behind the kids my age."

Dean shrugged. "So?"

I raised my eyebrows. "So... I'm going to be the new girl and held back? Not gonna happen."

He shook his head. "You don't know if that'll happen."

"I'm pretty sure," I said.

Dean sighed. "What if you like it? What if you make friends?"

I shook my head. "Don't need friends."

Dean gave me a look and sat on the bed next to me. "What about college?"

I shrugged. "What about college?"

He shook his head. "You have no interest in it? You could get a good job out of it, won't have to be a waitress for the rest of your life."

I shook my head. "I'm not going to college, Dean."

Dean sighed.

"What?" I stared at him. "I don't even want to go to school, and you already have college on the brain?"

Dean shrugged. "Well, yeah, you're sixteen, so... what?" He thought for a second. "That would make you a junior? Isn't that the year you're supposed to get serious about it?"

"I don't know, Dean. Plus, I already told you, there's no way they're putting me in the same grade as people my age." I shrugged. "Ask me about monsters." I nodded. "I got you. I can tell you what they like to eat, where they like to hide out, what they do, and how to kill them. Ask me for random facts about serial killers." I nodded. "I got you. Ask me anything about different religions." I nodded. "I got you. Ask me to recite an exorcism. I got you." I sighed and shook my head. "But I have no idea why -4x+7=15 or whatever. That's the stuff they care about."

Dean nodded, looking doubtful himself. "You're a smart kid. I'm sure you can catch up."

I shook my head.

He shrugged. "What if I forged transcripts, they would never know you're behind."

I shook my head. "They will know that something's off as soon as I start failing my classes."