25: Bubble Wrap

Bash

Lilla and I leaned against the pillows in the bed of the truck, with her relaxing against me. She hugged my arm so tightly, her heartbeat thumped against my tricep. Being with her felt right.

Owen and Becks sat across the fire from us. They'd been quiet for a few minutes when they stood and said goodnight. We waved as they walked toward the porch. Becks' giggles rang out over the field when they broke into a run and raced up the stairs, holding hands.

Lilla smiled, and when she looked up, she caught me staring. Her eyebrows drew together. "What?"

"It's just nice to see you so relaxed."

"There's nothing better than a night outside with a fire. Can we sleep here?"

"Sure. That's why I brought everything."

She kissed my shoulder before resting her temple against it. "Thank you."

"No problem."

Questions about Lilla's conversation with Owen ran through my mind. I knew he'd already forgiven her, but I hoped they'd fixed things between them. I promised Lilla I wouldn't tell Owen the truth about the spell she put on him, so I didn't, but I still thought he should know.

"It looked like you and Owen had a good talk earlier."

She nodded. "He's not angry with me anymore." Her relieved sigh lifted a weight from me.

"Did you tell him about that spell?"

"No. He figured out enough on his own, and he spoke to me the way he used to, as though we're friends. I'd missed that. It was kind of him." Her voice broke at the end.

"If he was nice, why are you upset?"

"There are so many things I wish I'd done differently."

I hugged her, and she cuddled against me. "Everyone feels like that, Lilla. No one's perfect."

Her gaze drifted to my face. "Maybe not, but you're extremely close."

I chuckled. "I'm not and I don't want to be; it sounds boring. Besides, look at all the mistakes it took to bring us together, and I'm pretty happy about that." I shifted down to kiss her temple.

"See? You're being perfect again."

Her fingers traced my cheek, guiding my mouth to hers, and my pulse raced at her touch.

It was only the second time we'd kissed, but it was everything. She was everything. The feel of her against me. The scent of spring in her hair.

I slid my hand down to her thigh, gripped her tightly, and pulled her onto my lap. A humming sound escaped her as her legs squeezed against either side of mine. She tugged my hair as our mouths moved together, and I was in heaven.

I wanted this, wanted her, forever. Knowing I wouldn't get anything close to forever made my stomach drop. I drew back to catch my breath and rested my forehead against hers. My eyes burned, and I closed them to hide the tears that were forming.

"Bash?" she whispered.

"This is it." I tucked her hair behind her ear. "Tomorrow we'll be at Catriona's."

She curled against my chest. "I know."

"I'm not ready. I want more time."

"Me too."

She wrapped her arms around me, and I held her, trying to be grateful for what we had. We were quiet, and eventually, her breaths evened out—she'd fallen asleep.