10: Processing

Bash

I pulled the keys from the ignition, and the dinging stopped. Movement at the side of the building drew my attention, and I squinted into the darkness, but couldn't make anything out.

A muffled cry broke the silence, and I rushed toward the sound. Clothes tearing and feet scuffling filled my ears as I paused to slide the knife from my boot.

At the far end of the building, a mimic slammed the shy girl against the bricks, its claws digging into her shoulders. She shoved against the mimic's chest with both hands as she shouted, "Please, stop. No. No no no no."

Her constant stream of pleas covered the sound of my footfalls as I carefully closed in on them. If I charged in and gave myself away before I could reach them, the mimic could bolt and take the girl, or worse. If I could get the mimic's attention on me, she might release the girl.

The mimic slapped her across the face. "Just shut up, would you?"

"Stop," I yelled, drawing their notice a few steps earlier than I'd planned.

The frightened girl's eyes pleaded for help as the monster peered down at my blade and sneered. "So Catriona was right, the hunters are here. Sorry, but you and your buddies have to wait your turn."

Glancing behind me, I saw Owen and Lilla coming toward us. Owen's pace was steady, but he didn't run. Lilla's lips moved as she held her palms in front of her, but nothing seemed to be happening.

I inched my foot forward, and the girl brought her knee up into her captor's stomach. A huff of air escaped the mimic, but it didn't stop her from sweeping the girl's legs to the side and smashing her into the ground with a bitter growl.

The mimic's arm raised, claws aiming for the terrified girl's chest. A terrified scream split the air, and I lurched forward aiming to stab the monster through the back into her heart. Spinning, she shifted her attack to me—her claws slicing into my torso as momentum carried my blade into the mimic's heart.

Frozen in anger, she glared at me, but her claws didn't move any deeper as she crumbled. Warm blood coated my side, soaking into the waist of my jeans. Within seconds, it was over.

All that remained was me, and a fearful girl laying on the pavement, covered in mimic remains. Her gaze darted frantically between my face and the mess blanketing her.

I slipped the knife into my boot and knelt beside her, grasping her hand. "Are you okay?"

With a shaky, unconvincing nod, she gasped for air. A thin trail of blood ran from the corner of her eyebrow back into her hair, and a lump had already formed above her temple. Sticky, red liquid coated her shoulders, and her tank top was torn at the bottom.

She seemed so fragile. I thought of this tiny thing kneeing that mimic in the gut and smirked. "You're kinda badass, you know?"

Her brow furrowed, and she winced. "What was she?" Gawking at the dust and bones surrounding her, she gagged before squeezing her eyes shut and angling her face away.

"Yeah, it's gross." I knocked some of the debris off of her. "We'll take care of this. Don't worry."

"Good job, Bash," Owen spoke beside me and his mouth pressed into a straight line. He was pissed about something, but I'd have to worry about that later.

I kept my attention on the girl. "Thanks."

Lilla squatted next to us and peeled my shirt up to study my side with a frown. "I'm sorry. I had to be closer than expected to pause her. After healing myself and working the tracking spell—"