17: Shade

Bash

The drive was tense, at least in the cramped backseat. From the corner of my eye, Owen's fingers drummed his leg in a steady beat while Lilla's hands balled into fists in her lap.

In the front, Becks appeared relaxed. She tapped the steering wheel to the rhythm of the song on the radio, and Emory calmly watched the scenery passing by. They were ready to fight some mimics. We were too, but if things went well, two of us wouldn't be in the car for the ride back, so we were a little less excited.

Becks broke the silence. "If we get close to Catriona, is there anything we should do while you're working your spell, Lilla?"

I hadn't heard about any spell. They must have talked about it while I was outside. I looked at Lilla, waiting for her answer, but she didn't move. She continued to stare straight ahead. I nudged her with my elbow and she gazed up at me blankly.

"Becks asked what we should do if you have the chance to spell Catriona. What spell?" I asked.

"Oh, um." She took a slow breath. "I've already blocked my magic, so they won't sense me unless I have to use it. If I get to Catriona before she sees me, I'll cast a spell to protect us from her magic. It would require all of my focus. I wouldn't be able to fight." Her voice shook with nerves.

Reaching over, I wrapped her small hand in mine. "I've got your back."

She gave me a tight smile. "Thanks."

Owen nodded. "We've all got your back. Catriona's the priority. If we can get in there, we fight our way to her—she's the target. Don't get distracted by the rest of them. Kill her, and end them all."

Becks pulled off the dirt road into the trees, and the car bounced down a hill. Thin limbs scraped down the sides, reminding me of the first time I met Owen. It seemed so long ago that a double date led me to his house, but my life had changed dramatically in a matter of weeks. Were my friends really still on their summer break?

I needed to check in with Nolan. It'd been a few days since we texted, but that didn't surprise me. He was intent on spending every possible second with Lauren before college.

According to Lauren, Emily met someone at the beach and started dating him. I was glad. My feelings for her had disappeared, and her moving on meant no guilt for me.

My friends remained oblivious, and that was just the way I wanted them—carefree and happy. They didn't need to know about any of this, especially if it ended today.

The car stopped, and Becks pointed into the woods. "Catriona's place is about a mile that way. This leads to the edge of the overgrown field that surrounds the house. Once we're there, stay low and quiet, and we'll get close enough to see anyone that comes or goes."

"Sounds good," Owen said as we opened the doors and got out.

Becks hid the car in the perfect spot—the hill was steep, and the thick branches blocked it from the road completely. Someone would have to be walking to notice it, and we didn't need to worry about that out here in the middle of nowhere.

We trailed quietly through the trees, only breaking the silence with occasional whispers. Becks led the way and peppered Emory with reminders, making sure he had his knife, remembered the plan, and would stay with the group. Surprisingly, he responded with confidence and patience instead of attitude.

Owen walked right behind them, monitoring our surroundings and keeping an eye on Becks. One hand rested on the knife at his belt as though he expected an ambush. There was nothing except trees, but he was in hunting mode.