7: Nurse

Owen

Lilla prepared her tracking spell as Bash and I joined her at the kitchen table. Her atlas lay open to the first page, and I studied the cramped writing that covered it. Lilla didn't speak as she arranged her witchy things, including the little bag that held the cloth she'd used to wipe up Catriona's blood.

We watched as she placed her fingers on the edge of the paper and mumbled an incantation. After a few seconds, the map glowed a faint yellow. I peeked up at Bash; it was the first time he'd seen this. His eyes widened as he glanced from the atlas to Lilla with a grin.

The light condensed in one area and became brighter, drawing our gaze down. It continued to shrink until only a speck of yellow remained. A flash engulfed the book, shining so brightly, I had to look away. The pages flipped quickly, finally landing on a detailed map of Ragslin, and then it went dark.

Bash opened his mouth, but I shook my head. There was more to this spell. The left edge of the pages lit up from corner to corner. The straight, glowing line crawled over the page as it honed in on Catriona.

Turning to me, Bash mouthed the word "wow." I smirked and nodded. It was pretty groovy. The magic had already traveled over a third of the way across Ragslin. We were close to finding Catriona and excitement fluttered in my chest.

A slight crackling sound came from the book. Lilla gasped, and her eyes flew open as the light ignited and the word Ragslin burst into flames.

I reached for my water glass to put it out, but Lilla screamed, "No!" Slapping the cup away, she used her hand to pat out the growing flame.

"Shit!" Bash's chair crashed to the ground as he bolted up, and stretched over the table to stop Lilla but she ignored him and continued extinguishing the fire.

I stared at the smoking book. What the hell happened? I'd seen her do that spell many times without issue. Bash rounded the table, grabbed Lilla, and half dragged, half carried her to the sink. She didn't take her eyes from the charred page.

"Is it alright? Did it leave a hole in the paper?" she screamed the questions at me from across the room as Bash held her red, blistered hand under the cool running water.

"Stop pulling away! Can't you see you're hurt?" Bash struggled to keep her at the sink while she tried to get back to the book.

"It's fine. Everything's okay." I didn't know if the map was alright, but Bash seemed like he was going to crap his pants if she didn't settle down, and I was just glad I didn't have to deal with her.

She sagged against the counter with a sigh, and I studied the book more closely. The ashes dusting the page had a blueish edge to them; that was no ordinary fire.

As soon as Lilla stilled, Bash grabbed a bowl and rushed across the room for ice. He set it in the sink to fill and gently submerged her hand in the cold water as she stared off with unfocused eyes.

Bash shut the faucet off and Lilla studied the angry red marks covering her palm. With a shuddering breath, the color drained from her face, and her legs gave out.

"Are you alright?" Bash caught her with an arm around her waist and his eyes widened with panic. I couldn't muster that level of concern. She'd be fine, but I moved closer in case he needed help.

Lilla nodded but said nothing as she collapsed forward. Bash was the only thing keeping her on her feet. I'd never seen her like this. There was definitely something wrong. At least her spell had covered some of the town. We'd have less area to search.

"Wake up! What's happening?" Bash turned to me, and I shrugged. How was I supposed to know?

"Lilla!" he pushed her against me, and I looped my arms around her with her back to my chest. Bash lifted her face to his and patted her cheek.