3: Jealous

Bash

A sharp twinge in my side woke me. My body ached, my head throbbed, and my throat ached with thirst.

The events of last night came crashing back. I cracked my eyes open the slightest bit, hesitant of what I might find. The dim light of the very early morning sun peeped through the blinds and shone on a white ceiling fan spinning lazily. My bedroom, good. If anything was wrong, I wouldn't be sleeping in my own bed.

A deep breath caught in my throat, and I clutched my side. I'd have to be more careful with my injuries. Where was everyone? What did Owen tell Emily and Nolan? My eyes burned at the thought that they might never forgive me.

I struggled to sit up, but a stabbing sensation dragged across my ribs, causing a grunt as my head dropped back to the pillow.

"What's wrong?" Emily popped up beside my bed, making me jump. "Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you."

Concern clouded her features, but all I could do was stare. She was still here. For some reason, on my floor. Her hair stuck up in places and behind the worry was exhaustion. She was beautiful.

"You're here," I whispered.

She nodded. "We all are. Nolan and Owen are downstairs; Lilla's sleeping in your guestroom."

"Okay. Why are you on the floor?"

"I was keeping an eye on you, but I got tired, so I took a nap."

"You were watching me?"

"No." Her cheeks turned pink, and she rolled her eyes. "Well, yeah, but only to make sure you were alright. I wasn't watching like a creeper or anything."

I chuckled, and she scrunched her nose with an embarrassed grin. Shaking my head, I smiled. Even with everything going on, she made me happy. "Why are you sleeping on the floor? There's plenty of room up here."

She looked down. "I thought about it. But it seemed too weird to get in bed with you without you knowing. Plus, I didn't want to hurt you." She shuddered. "And there's a lot of blood."

I brushed my fingers over my sides carefully. It hurt; especially on the left. I hoped Lilla could do something about it soon. I pulled the towel I was lying on over me, to cover the dried blood so Emily wouldn't have to see it.

Reaching over, I tapped the top of her head, making her look at me. "Come on up; you won't hurt me."

She glanced from my face to my side and seemed satisfied when she couldn't see anything gross. Finally, she climbed up, careful not to touch me. When she settled, the space between us was enough to fit another person.

I took her hand and tugged her closer. "Come here."

Slowly, she scooted over. Her forehead pressed against my shoulder, and she wrapped both her arms around my right arm. "Are you sure you're okay?" she asked, lacing her fingers with mine.

I lifted her hand to kiss the back. "I'm perfect."

She sighed and relaxed against me. I rubbed my thumb over the soft skin of her wrist. This wasn't exactly what I'd had in mind when I pictured her in my bed, but it was pretty great.

"Emily?" I breathed.

"Hmm?"

"For future reference, anytime you're thinking about getting in bed with me, you can. It's not weird. I'm actually totally fine with it."

"Shut up, Bash." I could hear the smile in her voice, and it made me chuckle.

We stayed that way, letting the sun brighten the room without saying anything. I knew she was awake because every few minutes, she'd rub my bicep with her fingertip or squeeze my hand lightly. It seemed like she was making sure I was still there, in our peaceful bubble, where time and monsters couldn't reach us.