11: The Safe Room

I hit the floor with a loud thud. The ground is cool, as if we are on metal.

I turn my head upwards to see florescent lights above us as they make a repetitive humming noise.

Marcus offers his hand as I grab it.

Once I'm off of the ground, I notice we are in some sort of safe room.

"What is this place? " I ask as Marcus sighs.

"Right above the tunnels are rooms of pure metal that the facility uses when protocol must take place. When an outside force interferes with us, and attacks us, we are to do our best to fight the illusions and get to the safe rooms. That's why we can't leave from the tunnels. The illusions, we can only see through to an extent. They guide us to where we must go, but they also don't" Marcus explains as I head over to a metal door.

"Can you explain more about the Kayden situation? You said these illusions were triggered cause he got mad. How does that work? " I ask as he sighs and pushes his glasses up ever so slightly.

"He has access to the illusions. We are trying to figure that out. I was doing my best to get you out of the illusion the facility was under. His other illusion warped the hallways so that it was harder to find the safe rooms. That's because he knows they exist, but not their actual location" he says as I sigh.

This has been so confusing. It's eating me alive. I feel like there is too much happening. I'm in danger cause I didn't want to date him? He tricked me and manipulated me because he couldn't handle rejection? How immature could he possibly be?

"How long do we have to stay in here for? " I ask as Marcus sighs and leans against the wall.

"Until the threat is removed" he says calmly as he closes his eyes.

He takes a deep breath as he pulls out his phone. Lucky. My phone was left behind at the church.

"My friend will retrieve us shortly. He works for the facility, but not the president. Yes, I know the facility is ran by the president, but some of the workers are against him" Marcus says as I just nod.

"I hope your sister is okay" I say as Marcus snorts. Then he looks at me all serious.

"My sister? I don't have one" he says as I look at him with confusion.

"She said her name is Maya. She claimed to be your twin" I say.

"Oh her. No she isn't my sister. She's a robot I made" he says simply.

"Why was she in the showers then... ? " I ask.

"Hm. Let's see. AI can be perfected to such an extent, however her body was made with a protection layer to make her water proof. She can eat food, but it goes right through her. I made her that way on purpose. She's a weapon. And our only hope of leaving this place. She doesn't know she's a robot" he explains as I just stand there in shock.

"You mean- wha- why would you create her as a weapon? She probably has feelings" I say.

"She does yes"

"I don't get it"

"It's easy Ash. Really easy. Yes she's a weapon, but her emotions are what is needed. You'll find out why eventually. She knows I have equipped her with what she calls powers. But it's just defense mechanisms and such. She's based off of my dead sister. And I made her to help us. And her mind set is to help us" Marcus says as the door opens.

A tall dude with dark brown hair and glasses opens the door. I almost laugh cause he is wearing jeans and a MCR T-shirt.

"Hey Marcus! We grouped up everyone. We are ready to head out now. There is a huge hole in one of the walls. We can leave" the guy says as Marcus and I look at each other.

"This is your friend? He looks like he is ready to go to a concert" I say as Marcus laughs while shaking his head slightly.

"Yea he's my friend. His name is Gaige. And he's actually my older brother" he says.