8: Breakfast in Bed

When I wake up I realize I'm not in the lab. Nor am I in my room. I slowly rub my eyes to make sure I'm seeing things right.

I slowly sit up in the bed that I'm laying on as Marcus looks up from the book he is reading.

He's sitting in a chair in the room. He must have been waiting for me to wake up.

"I see you have awoken. Tell me. What is off about this room? " he asks as I lean against the headboard of the bed.

Nothing. Nothing in here feels off.

"I... I don't know. I mean nothing feels off" I say as he nods.

"Because everything in here is real. The chip in your neck allows you to see through illusions. Those things will appear more translucent so that you can distinct them from reality. This is my room by the way. I didn't know you were going to pass out" Marcus explains as I scoff.

"You couldn't have brought me back to my own room? " I ask harshly. I shouldn't have asked that question the way I did. But I'm tired, hungry, and haven't been settling in well.

"Um. No. Seeing as I told Kayden this morning that I was doing your testing for today, for which I need to do yet. Anyways your breakfast is next to you on the side table"

I turn to my left as I realize there is in fact food on the small wooden table. I pick it up and slowly start eating. I learned it's best to eat slower when hungry. I could upset my stomach, or feel full way faster, which can cause issues later on.

"I'm sorry for lashing out at you the way I did. I didn't mean to be so harsh. I just hate it here" I admit as he looks up from his book again. I didn't even realize he was reading it.

"It's fine. You seem to be the only person in this whole facility that is willing to have more than a one sentence conversation with me" he says as I go quiet.

Jeez. They really don't trust him.

I gulp down the drink that was provided with the meal as I then get a good look at the cover of the book he is reading.

"Hunger Games Catching Fire" I say out loud as he laughs a little.

"I'm a slut for these books" he says as I start laughing as well.

"Yea well I think the only reason those books made a huge combat was due to the fact everyone reentered their Josh Hutcherson phases" I say as he bursts out into a huge fit of laughter.

"Stop cause the president knew that and banned the final Five Nights at Freddy's movies! " he says while laughing.

"Holy shit you are a huge nerd" I say.

"Oh and like you aren't? I don't think you were one of the more popular chicks at your school" he says as I stop laughing.

"No no no no. Keep laughing. I like it when you laugh" he says suddenly as he attempts to fix the problem he just created.

He doesn't know. I don't expect him to. When I first attended my school people thought I was really pretty. Then they thought I was weird after they found out my interests.

"I wasn't. I wasn't anywhere close to popular. They labeled me as a pretty weirdo and would tell me all the time that I have an ugly personality and a pretty face" I say as his face drops.

"That's rude. They shouldn't be saying your personality is bad. I mean sure you are pretty. I agree with that. But they shouldn't judge your interests" he says as my face turns red.

Holy shit he just called me pretty.

"Um. Anyways... What tests are we doing today? " I ask as he sighs.

"I gotta do your blood work, and sorta... Put you in a stimulation" he says.

"Oh you bitch. I hate stimulations" I say as he snorts.

"You never been in one. Well. An actual one" he says.

"What am I? Tris? " I ask.

"If your Tris then I'm Four" he says as he gets up and suddenly leaves the room.