10 Clap Your Hands If You Believe...: Part 2

Start from the beginning

Sam handed Dean the glass. "Here. Drink."

Dean quickly downed the whiskey.

"Good," Sam said and took the glass back.

Dean nodded. "Thank you."

"Yeah. Now. Come on." Sam poured more whiskey into the glass. "Talk to us." He handed the glass back to Dean and sat on the other bed. "What happened?" he asked, pretending to be concerned.

Dean thought for a second. "Well, uh, there was this—" He shook his head. "God help me, there was this bright white light!"

"It's okay." Sam patted Dean on the leg, and Dean gave him a strange look. "Safe room."

"Okay, ew." I furrowed my brow at him.

"What?" he asked, confused.

I shook my head. "You gotta pick, bro. You can't keep going back and forth between the caring and the not caring. It's giving me a headache, and honestly, when you try to care, it comes off creepy."

Sam furrowed his brow and shook his head. "Are you mad at me?"

"Oh no, of course not." I faked a smile.

"Okay, good, so this conversation can wait?" he asked, and I glared at him as he looked back at Dean. "Please, continue."

I felt myself starting to fume, and Dean gave me a concerned look, but then he cleared his throat and continued, "And then suddenly, I was, uh, I was in a different place. And there were these beings, and they were too bright to look at, but I could feel them pulling me towards this sort of table—"

"Probing table!" Sam said excitedly.

"God!" Dean yelled, "Don't say that out loud!"

Sam nodded. "Right. So, what did you do?"

"I went crazy. I started hacking and slashing and firing. They actually seemed surprised." Dean stood up and smiled proudly at himself. "I don't think anybody's ever done that before. Yeah. I had a close encounter, guys... and I won."

"You should take a shower," Sam suggested.

Dean sipped his whiskey and nodded. "I should take a shower. I'm gonna..." He set his glass down on the table and turned toward the bathroom. "I'm gonna take a shower now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After a few hours of sleep, the three of us went to a diner for some breakfast.

"So, on top of all the demons, and the angels, and the ghosts, and the skinwalkers, it turns out that there's— So if aliens are actually real, what's next? Hobbits?" Dean asked.

I shrugged and raised my eyebrows. "Elves?"

Dean nodded and pointed at me like I could be right.

Sam and our waitress made eye contact as she walked by, and he nodded at her with a small smile.

"Seriously?" Dean asked. "You just gave her the silent how ya doin'."

"What?" Sam asked.

Dean shook his head. "Our reality's collapsing around us, and you're trying to pick up our waitress?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah. Okay. Look. Brings up a question. So, say you got a soul, and you're on a case, and your brother gets abducted by aliens..."

Dean nodded. "Yeah, then you do everything you can to get him back."

"Right!" Sam pointed at Dean. "You do, but what about when there are no more leads for the night?" he asked, "Are you supposed to just sit there in the dark and suffer, even when there's nothing that can be done at that moment?"