Chapter Thirty-three: Monster

Start from the beginning

"You think a rat tore a man's throat out?!"

"Clearly, you've never seen a swarm before!"

"Hence why I never stay in your duchy, Toren," Donovan muttered under his breath.

Amid the ongoing bickering, accusations, and theories, Callidus maintained his silence, closely observing the reactions of those present. He had chosen these specific individuals as witnesses for a reason, knowing that their beliefs and biases would naturally lead them to a particular conclusion.

"Walerian is a monster!" Countess Fenella declared with a shudder.

Callidus stooped down to examine Tavian's lifeless body, though his true intention was to conceal the faint smile that crept upon his face.

"And he's escaped twice now!" Toren added. "We should have executed him the moment he was recaptured."

"...Your Highness," Donovan began, his voice strained as he struggled to look at Tavian's body. "Is he...deceased?"

"Of course, he is, Donovan," Toren snapped. "Half his throat is missing."

The countess could only mumble, her words lost amidst the overwhelming horror that gripped her. Arden did his best to comfort her, his expression a mix between concern and bashfulness as she clung to him.

Though Tavian's fate was evident to anyone who looked, Callidus made a show of touching Tavian's wrist, checking his pulse before rising with a shake of his head. "This is a grave situation," Callidus said, finally breaking his silence while discreetly wiping his fingers with a subtle swirl of wind. "And I take responsibility for not acting sooner. I had been hesitant to take swift lethal action, given the kindhearted nature of my fiancée."

There was an uncomfortable pause.

And Callidus felt an immediate rush of embarrassment as he recalled Cressida's vehement denial of their engagement in front of his advisors the previous night.

"...my fiancée," Callidus repeated, emphasizing the point that despite her objections, they were still engaged, "...still holds a deep attachment to her former mentor. You heard her last night talking about second chances, and I believe that was a direct reference to him. My love is quite naive at times..." he paused, his eyes flicking towards the top of the landing, wondering if Cressida was still huddled up in blankets, teary-eyed from their recent confrontation. "...she believes that even murderers can change."

Duke Donovan cleared his throat and redirected the conversation, "How do you suggest we proceed, Your Highness? Should we lock down the palace?"

Captain Delmorn chimed in, "The guards are already stretched thin with your orders from last night, Your Highness."

"You heightened security last night?" Toren questioned.

"I may have been overly cautious in preparation for the execution," Callidus replied. "In fact, that's why I assigned Sir Tavian here this very evening instead of my attendant." Callidus gestured towards Mint, who jumped at being addressed publicly. "I believed that such a loyal and skilled knight would have no issue with keeping the prisoners contained. But perhaps that was what lead to this tragedy." Callidus directed his gaze toward Tavian's corpse. "It appears that the prisoners had developed a fondness for my attendant, who had been caring for them. This may have led them to hesitate in causing her harm. As you all may recall, Walerian brutally murdered his previous guard."

Reluctantly, everyone's eyes turned toward Sir Tavian's lifeless form.

Callidus shifted his full attention to Mint. "Mint, you last saw them when you delivered their meal at lunchtime, correct?"