Chapter 49: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

3rd person pov

"Kagami!"

"I got it!" She said as she jumped and spiked the ball over the net. It was gym period and the girls were currently outside playing volleyball while the boys were running track.

The girls on Kagami's team surrounded her as they praised their MVP of the match. "Nice one!"

"Hehe, thanks."

Kagome and her friends were watching on the sideline as they started carrying equipment to put back into the storage room. "Kagami is pretty amazing huh?" Yuka said.

Kagome nodded absentmindedly. "Yeah." She muttered, down in the dumps. She's been so busy that we haven't had the time to talk today.

Kagome temporarily wondered if this was the consequence they had to pay because of Inuyasha. She bitterly frowned. Why should we have to suffer? It's all his fault, to begin with.

"Kagome."

Kagome let out a small noise of surprise as she dropped the volleyball and turned to the half-demon. "Inuyasha? Why are you here?!" She whisper-yelled to not draw attention to themselves.

He looked away. "I got bored waiting around."

Kagome's eyes narrowed as she crossed her arms and glared at him. Liar. "Kagami is fine." She muttered as her expression soured.

Inuyasha sent a confused look her way so she elaborated. "That's why you came here right? To see how she was doing." She explained in an accusatory manner.

He wasn't going to deny it but he wasn't going to agree either. Inuyasha frowned as he observed how agitated Kagome was right now. "What's up with you?"

"Honestly, if you had never made that stupid wish." She grumbled angrily.

"You're still mad?" Wrong response. Once he saw her expression, the half-demon trembled in fear as he fell to the ground and backed away.

Kagome angrily walked over as she jabbed a finger to his chest. "Of course I am, it's your fault! We're going to bring her back no matter what and you're going to help! Got it?!" Before Inuyasha could get a word out, Kagome pushed him to the ground behind some bushes when she heard voices nearby.

His cheeks flushed at their proximity as he looked up at her in confusion. "What are you doing-"

"Be quiet." She whispered, shutting him up. They waited for her classmates to leave the area until Kagome finally gave the okay. "Okay, I think they're gone no-"

"Higurashi...?"

Kagome froze as she looked up at the last person she wanted to find them right now. "Kagami?" she was holding the volleyball she dropped earlier and Kagome cursed herself for being so careless.

Kagome glanced down at Inuyasha, whose attention was elsewhere, and she finally realized their current position. "Ah! This isn't what it looks like!" She stammered as she immediately got off of him.

Kagami backed away with flushed cheeks as she turned around to run away. "I'm sorry!"

"Kagami, wait please!" Kagome said, grabbing her arm to stop her. "Don't tell anyone about this."

The girl nodded as she simply wanted to run away and forget everything. "Okay, sure. Just uh, keep your indecency with your..." she raised a brow at the male sitting on the ground who was staring at her. "Strangely dressed boyfriend at home."

"He's not my boyfriend!" Kagome immediately denied.

However, it only seemed to make Kagami more uncomfortable as she pulled her arm away and ran off.