19. Stand By Me

NOTE: This chapter is 3,800 words! As the book comes to its end, it will be lengthier. Enjoy your read and I hope your hearts are warm after this one.

---

Y/N

As Christmas approached, so did some fear. At the back of our heads lingered the thought of the possibility of never returning home. Regardless of the anxiety in the air, we all took it easy, hoping for a good ending.

Armin and Mikasa did a phenomenal job decorating the Leonhart's residence. While we finished the vegetable harvest as the Miami outskirts had reached winter, the two friends decided to lift the mood by getting us all in the Christmas spirit. We already had a cute holiday picture before as we planned to eat outside for once, but of course, we all agreed to have dinner at home at the last minute.

The Christmas tree, decorated with tiny ornaments and lights, harbored presents underneath. Mikasa had gotten everyone's stockings with their initials (Armin's sock has AA, while Annie's has AL, to not confuse the two). She worked incredibly hard to make the stockings look lovely. My stocking had my initial in red threads, the stocking itself being cream. Lace adorned the edges, and it was so thoughtful.

Usually in the present, Mikasa doesn't do things like these. I guess the journey has softened her a bit, and perhaps made her more expressive with her love.

The fireplace was doing its job, the candles gave off a refreshing pine smell, and the stars twinkled outside in the sky. It was like this for the past two weeks and it has motivated us to keep going on our journey. Because at the end of the day, we all had a reality to go back to, where our friends, family, and life truly were.

Everyone had their things going on and had paired up to finish chores. Levi and I, without having said a word, agreed to do things together. Whether it was to tend animals, harvest crops, cook, or go to the town square, we did it all together. Sometimes we would do everything in complete silence or give each other commands on what to do. Sometimes we would get off-track and tease each other, flirt, or surprise each other with little touches and sweet kisses.

My feelings for him only grew. I tried to keep up with the tough act but he made it too difficult. I trusted the girls and Hanji with what was going on.

"Woah, Y/N. He doesn't just tell anyone anything. He really trusts you," Mikasa comments.

"He's so gentle! Not to me, though," Hanji informs me, placing a hand on their forehead in defeat.

"I'm surprised he has feelings," Annie adds.

He would always act tough too, and still calls me a brat. No matter what. I knew I was in too deep when I started to envision us doing things together, and I wish this would last forever. The dilemma I often had was, would he stay with me in the future? Or will he go back? Regardless of any ending, I would cherish this life with him, no matter how short or long. Forever.

I am in love with Levi Ackerman.

I don't even know what exactly we are.

The day seems to drag on. I anxiously waited for dinnertime to arrive. Everyone was ready and stylish; wearing dresses and suits, pearls and silver, makeup, and cologne. Miki forced me to wear a formal tanzanite-colored evening gown that came with a pair of gloves.

"Don't move, or you'll be banned from Mikasa's Salon," she warned when doing my makeup.

December 25, 1967. If I were in the future, it would have been pajamas and hot chocolate. I'm here getting dolled up, ready to find a way to go back home.

During that session, Mikasa let me in a secret. I was baffled at the revelation, hence the nervousness I felt throughout my body when walking down the stairs to the dining table.