9. Time

MIKASA

I have to get Y/N back home.

I had a feeling things were going to get worse. Call it an Ackerman instinct, but what if things go wrong?

Time. Something so precious, yet something that we allow to slip away from our grasp. It is something that cannot be destroyed or manipulated. The longer we take, the more things will get complicated.

That is my interpretation.

Hanji had pulled me aside from tending the chickens, as well as Annie. We discussed how things may change in the present. Hell, things may change in the future as we near it. Hanji hypothesized that time stands still and that it has stopped. Annie believes there is no concept of time and that this was all a dream.

However, I believe that the time is continuing. Were our bodies active at the same time as now? Will we remember this? The scariest thought was, do we even exist?

I was ready to go upstairs to call Levi and Y/N downstairs to eat.

Levi was a case. He doesn't know it, but I'm his cousin. In the present, he is a reserved and angry man. You push his buttons, and hell is loose. He's a little mean. One time, a friend of mine, Armin, spilled coffee on my white couch.

Of course, Levi went batshit crazy. If I didn't hold him back, Armin would have been dead.

I smile to myself. It was a good thing that it was just a few of us here. Hanji is from the early 1940s. Annie, Y/N, and I were all from 2020. Levi is from the 1970s. Just the 5 of us.

As I approach the door, I hear the chattering voice of my best friend along with the voice of my cousin.

"So, Mikasa's sleepy friend, tell me about the future," he asks.

Y/N replies, talking about technology and social media. It makes me feel heartbroken. I can only imagine how hard it had to be on her.

Sometimes, I regret making that wish, but sometimes it was the right choice. I don't even believe in things like these. Maybe this is all a dream.

As she spoke, she got quiet. Sadness has washed over her.

"You talk too much."

A broom drops. "Hey!"

And then a miracle happens.

Levi Ackerman laughed.

It was a privilege to hear. I can imagine how much shock Y/N was in.  It was a big achievement. No one ever sees this side of Levi, not even me. He's rude, sassy, and a germaphobe. There was not a day that I didn't think of punching the short man.

After all, he almost killed Armin.

"Thank you for telling me. You have pent-up issues and regrets. Let go of them."

I almost burst out laughing. It's not a conversation with Levi unless he talks about regrets. I have no idea what regrets he talks about, but he's serious about it. Scrubbing is all I hear beyond the door.

"You can't let go of them, can't you?" Levi asked.

I have known Y/N for a long time. Many years. I was the person she confided things in. There was a lot she was dealing with. As much as I love her, she was stubborn. Stubborn to heal. Stubborn to listen to me.

Stubborn to herself.

Of course, I never got mad at her. She was a human after all. Between studying, working, and taking care of her family, she was stressed. Not only that, she has become so close-minded due to being trapped in her small world. Escaping from your problems won't make life better.