3. 1944

Y/N

Grunting, I pull away all the blankets covering me. Weirdly enough, it was humid and hot and all I pushed off was a single bed sheet.

Rubbing my eyes, I go to my drawer to turn off the dumb alarm for school. Smacking my hand against the table, I proceed to head back to my bed.

"Hold up, what the hell?" Springing upwards, I look at the place I'm in. In the corner I was in was a twin-sized bed, with a candle on a small table, on the opposite end was a full-length mirror, as well as a closet. Besides the candle sat a vintage camera.

Where the hell am I?

Getting ready to call out for someone, the door opens up and I'm face-to-face with... Mikasa?

"Good morning, I hope you are ready for some coffee to begin the day?" She asks with a smile, which was unlike her.

Confused, I shake my head. "Mikasa, where the hell are we?"

Arching her brow, she gets closer to me. "We are in our house. Are you okay? Where did you get these clothes?" Pointing at my jeans and sweatshirt that I fell asleep in, the realization hits me.

"Miki. What year is it?"

She frowns. "Did you hit your head or something? It's 1944. Hurry up, we have to get going-."

"No, wait!" Quickly latching onto her arm, she turns around, smiling. "Do you not remember our phone call yesterday? About me venting about my parents? Or when I came back from the J. Cole concert?" She shakes her head no to all of my questions. "Shit, shit, shit!"

Sitting down on the bed, I place my head onto my hands. "I'm stuck in the 1940s, Mikasa Ackerman does not recognize her own best friend's modern problems, and I have to go to school! I have school, Miki! I'm doomed!"

She places a hand on my shoulder. "Tell me everything that happened. I am confused on why you are acting that way." I nodded. "Come on. I'll make you a cup of tea. Come to the kitchen."

This version of Mikasa is more different than the one I know of. She is more of a smiling type, rather than the stoic Mikasa I know. It felt so weird. Making my way to the living room, which was rather small and consisted of a small table with two seats, Mikasa sets down my tea, consisting of what I presume to be mint and I can't help but be hypnotized by the smoke. I begin to blow on it.

"So, Y/N, what happened? Did you dream of something?" She quizzes.

I shake my head. "Let me explain from the beginning..."

Starting, I tell her how I have recently broken up with Reiner and decided to cool off by going to the J. Cole concert with Kanye West and Lil Pump, with Mikasa asking me who the hell they are. Explaining rap music was something beyond my control.

"Um, it's like rhyming, but a bit vulgar," I awkwardly state.

Mikasa's eyes light up. "Oh! So like, 'Boy toy, named Troy, used to live in Detroit'?"

I rapidly nod my head. "Yeah, like that! Nicki Minaj said that in her song!"

"Who's Nicki Minaj?"

I proceed to inform her how I returned from the concert and got a lecture from my mother, about how she believed I was wasting my life by going to concerts frequently, how Abuela sided with her, and how I ranted to Mikasa.

"Then you decided to become my mom and told me the same thing. You brought up the marching band and how I was the idiot with the close-minded head and did not want to accept the truth. Mikasa, you're my best friend. Then! Then, you decided to tell me something I never expected you to say!"

"What did future-me tell you?" Mikasa asked softly.

I pointed my index finger at her. "You told me that you hoped I wake up soon and experience the music of the past! Do you know how much that insulted me! You wished that I were to-"

Gasping, everything came together. Grabbing her shoulders with my hands, I shake her. "Oh my god, Mikasa of the past. Mikasa of the future did this to me! How am I supposed to go back to my time! Please, remember!"

I quickly lay my head on her shoulder, ready to let Niagara Falls release from my eyes. A warm hand pats my back and I hear a small snort.

"Remember to calm yourself down before I knock you out, Y/N," I rapidly push away from myself from Mikasa, who's rolling her eyes and giving me a small smile. "I believe hearing all of that made me get my conscious of the present back."

"Mikasa!" Pulling her into an embrace, I place my head on her shoulder. "I thought I was stuck with a bootleg version of you! Though, it is nice having a polite version of you." I feel her glare at me but I smile regardless. "Seeing you wearing a baby pink shirtwaist dress was so weird. It still is."

She looks down at her clothes then sighs. "Well, my wish became too real and here we are. 1944, damn. We are almost 80 years in the past. First, let's get you ready for the day. I bet the people here will look at you weirdly with your futuristic clothing choice." Before I know it, she's pushing me into the bathroom, which has a bathtub, set with bubbles and the utilities needed for washing and rinsing myself off.

It was all so weird.

Taking what feels like a luxurious bath in the 1940s, I go to change into one of the dresses in the closet. Failing to find pants or a nice shirt, I had to resort to wearing a wine red pinup dress, covered in black polka dots, along with some black pumps. Mikasa insisted on me doing makeup, saying that it'll "go with the 1940's theme" but I just ignored her and did a cat eyeliner with a brow pencil as liquid liner did not exist, along with some gloss that I, thankfully, had in the front pocket of my jeans.

"So what are we doing today?" I ask her.

She smiles and grabs my hand. "We are going to do some window shopping today, along with eating lunch at Hanji's Diner, then we will hit the studio!"

"The studio?"

She nods. "I like to go there because, well, dancing." She blushes. "From what past me knows, I really enjoy dancing there with everyone, really. It's always fun and I would like you to go with me. Especially since you will get to listen to the music of this time and get to appreciate it, that way you can go home!"

Hmm. It does not sound bad at all. Going back home right after this?

Fantastic.

"Lovely, Mikasa. Now, shall we go do some window shopping for our home?" Smiling at the ravenette, we skip around town, which I figured out to be Miami in the 1940s.

I did not have a bad time, to be frank. Education wasn't happening for me at this time, so why not enjoy the time I got here until I go to the studio. All I had to do was listen to the music, like it, and go home.

Right?