13

Finally, having them all leave the room gave me space to breathe, and by their reaction, I felt like the doctor didn't tell them about the bruises

I ate some food, and not much time went by before I dozed off to sleep.

I am trapped in darkness, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Not only that, but I'm reliving these nightmares every single day. I'm haunted by what happened to me and what will continue happening to me every single day.

Aurelia's Night Terror

Age 12

I came back from school, and the house was empty. I took a deep breath and went to my room, hoping they wouldn't be back for another hour or two.

As if I were that lucky, I went into the bathroom hoping to quickly take a shower and get some rest because I was awake all night cleaning up the kitchen, which was drowning in alcohol and cigarettes.

I stepped out of the shower only wrapped in a towel when I saw my mother coming up the stairs, stopping in shock when she saw me.

The shock quickly passed and was replaced with anger as she came charging at me.

"I have told you again and again not to come out looking like a whore!" she screamed at me while hitting me.

"I'm sorry, mommy, I forgot my clothes," I sobbed.

"I'll be a good mommy, I promise!"

"I'm sorry, mommy, please stop."

"You want to steal my husband from me, you disgusting piece of shit, I can't believe I gave birth to you."

"No!"

She said, giving me a final kick into the ribs, leaving me crying out in pain on the floor.

End of the Night Terror

I wake up with tears streaming down my face as I wipe my eyes with my shirt. Looking around my room, I find Santiago and Cristián staring at me.

I scream out loud because they scared me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, unsure of what was going to happen to me.

"I'm sorry, but we heard screams coming from your room, so we went to check if you were okay," Santiago said.

"We'll leave you alone, sorry for just barging in here," Cristián apologizes.

"No, I'm sorry, I just had a silly nightmare, sorry to disturb you guys."

"Absolutely not, no need to apologize. This is your home, and never apologize for something like this again," Santiago said sternly.

"We will let you be now. Sleep tight, peanut."

They left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts again. Sleeping was not an option for me now. I thought about how I could kill the time.

I came to the conclusion that checking this house out is a good option.